Top Mount Whipples on 502's ???? >

Top Mount Whipples on 502's ????

Notices

Top Mount Whipples on 502's ????

Old 01-19-2003, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Top Mount Whipples on 502's ????

I have a buddy that is in the process of ordering some of the new Whipple top mounts for his 36 foot Baja 2000 with 502's (MPI's). The only thing that is not stock on the engines is the exhaust. He has Stainless Marine headers on it and the ECM's have been recalibrated. He understands the the ECM's will be sent to Whipple for their stock Whipple top mount set - up. What he wants to know is how much boost will his set -up safely handle.
In other words can he increase the boost with the stock parts that come with the Whipple top mounts. Would the ECM's have to be programmed for the additional boost or can he just change the pulley size and leave the rest as. He's like all of us wanting more hp. He doesn't want to get even remotely close to the danger zone of hurting his engines if the extra boost would do that. But on the other side of the fence a couple pounds more may not do that much more wear and tear on the engines. Thanks Mike
Attached Thumbnails Top Mount Whipples on 502's ????-36-ready-fur-water.jpg  
Old 01-19-2003, 01:25 PM
Registered

sounds like a good question for Dustin.
I wish I had one of the top mount kits, they look cool.
I am interested in the answer also. I know that Whipples standard answer seems to be 5-6 psi of boost from what I have read.
Mike thanks for the drive shower that I bought from you last summer, it works great.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:25 PM
Registered

AMBUSHER, what cam would you recommend for a 502 with a whipple? does it just have a hydraulic cam? If you change just the cam, do you need to reprogram the ECU? I am asking because when I change my head gaskets, maybe I should change the cam. I have a 97 so if I change the cam, can the older ECU be programmed enough to handle it.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:41 PM
Registered

Originally posted by AMBUSHER
Hey MIKE I've done a ton of the whipples and the 502 is a tough bird to do . Its got a bad cam in it that needs to be changed and the head gaskets should be changed to be sure and use new head bolts . The stainless exhaust are great but the ecm will still need to be changed for protection and to raise the rev limit a few hundred .Don't just go up on the boost ,don't !!
if it all works togather it will live forever . How many hours are on it ??ever in salt water ??
I'll have to get back with you on the hours. I would say he probably puts on about 75 to 100 hours a season . He lives on the NC/SC coast. As you can see from the picture he dry stores it. It is flushed every time. I know this is not the same as a fresh water boat though. Alum. heads may be out of the question for the salt water. He does realize that the ECM's will have to been sent to Whipple before the top mounts can be installed. He is just wonder if he can increase boost with the stock ECM's from Whipple or will the ECM's have to be modified for the extra boost.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:08 PM
Registered

Thanks AMBUSHER, I will need to talk to bobby or Blown1500 I guess. Yes new springs and exhaust valves will be done, as well as head studs and roller rockers.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:13 PM
Registered

Well, I was going to a leak down this spring and see what shows up. Everything is running great, so I am not thinking total rebuild.
I am just nervous about the head gaskets since I added the whipple last year.