Notices

skegs

Old 02-03-2003, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

If you are surfacing your lower unit on a high speed boat, don't use a Band-Aid on your lower unit. Family boats fine... Replace the housing or pay a much bigger price with your safety. Welding is also not a good alternative.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no Band - Aids at high speed

Originally posted by Brad Zastrow
If you are surfacing your lower unit on a high speed boat, don't use a Band-Aid on your lower unit. Family boats fine... Replace the housing or pay a much bigger price with your safety. Welding is also not a good alternative.
I agree 100 percent safety is FIRST .
Old 02-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Registered

Good advice! I Have a couple of theories as to why the welded repair does`nt work out well for surfacing applications. When you put in a solid weld deposit next to the porous casting, it creates a ''stress riser''. Second, We can weld the casting but not heat treat it, and even if we could it would`nt be the same because the composition of the metal is different now. There is another theory and that is that a lot of weldors suck! They don`t prepare the joint properly, put in an ugly weld and then ''grind it down'' or in some cases ''grind it away''! I would be interested to hear anyone elses opinion on this subject.....................Roger 1
Old 02-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Registered

How do they react to impact as compared to the original skeg? Where we boat skegs are sacraficial. We have allot of logs, rocks, sand and shallow water. Will the skeg guard give as easily as the original. I'm assuming not. So I'm wonder, wouldn't it do more damage in an impact?

Brian
Old 02-04-2003, 06:01 PM
Registered

ROGER1 THATS GREAT ,one you are right that alot of welders/dirt dobbers suck,and two the skeg guard is stronger than where it is attached, so guess what it all breaks off anyway. If the weld is good it will break above or below the weld. Thats how you can tell if it was welded goodor not .