Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
removing TRS gimbal >

removing TRS gimbal

Notices

removing TRS gimbal

Old 02-18-2003, 11:54 AM
formulaF302

Question removing TRS gimbal

I've got a rusty water trail coming down the inside of my transom from behind what I assume is called the gimbal housing on a TRS system. There is a bolt thru the transom for the swim platform mount that is loose on the outside of the transom. I can't find the nut for the other end of it....I'm assuming its somewhere under that plate on the inside of the transom. Do I have to remove engine or trans to remove that inside housing? How do I remove it? What other parts will I have to replace or reseal to re-install it?Any help would be greatly appreciated..... Glenn
1986 Formula F302 T-502

Old 02-18-2003, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's get this strait. Your swim platform has a loose bolt, and you think the nut is behind the inner transom plate? The transom plate is pretty much flush with the transom. They would have had to countersink the nut in the transom prior to putting the plate on.
Are you sure it's not just screwed into the outside of the transom?
Where exactly is the rusty water coming from? Maybe around the tranny tailstock?
I'm hoping you've got 2 problems, a leaky bellows and a loose screw (no pun). If you do have to remove the plate, the engine must come out. The Tranny tailstock rests on the inner plate.
Gary
Old 02-18-2003, 05:13 PM
formulaF302

The rusty water trail is definately coming from between the inner transom plate and the transom. I've pulled the drives and found no water in the bellows at all.....
I find it hard to believe that Formula would have put a lag bolt into the transom for that swim platform bracket. I hav'nt tried loosening it and prying it out while loosening yet....looks like that might have to be the next move. Could there be a countersink in the back of the plate to accomodate room for a nut on the end of the swim platform bolt ? It is a factory swim platform....would they possibly know if such is the case?
I've never seen the backside of a TRS transom plate...so I don't know if there is room for a nut there. Additionally....the swim platform mounting bolt is stainless steel....so where's the rust trail coming from? I just know that when I tried to tighten that swim platform bolt it just spun....so I stopped and used aquarium grade silicone all around the bolt and bracket so I could use it last summer. Its in inside storage now and I can't get to it for about 8 weeks......

Old 02-22-2003, 11:54 AM
formulaF302

Default how do I remove trs gimbal from transom

So does anybody know whats involved in such a removal. I assume I gotta take out the engine and trans......

Old 02-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engine and trans come out together. They're held in by 2 verticle bolts that hold the tranny tailstock to the transom plate. And by the 2 front engine mounts. And by a lot of hoses and wires.
Then you can remove the transom plate.
Gary
Old 02-28-2003, 07:41 PM
formulaF302

Default removing TRS drive gimbal

Sorry I was'nt being clear....I know how to take out engines and trans....getting pretty good at it now in fact....but I just did'nt know if they HAD to come out to remove the gimbal plate, and then how to remove, reseal, and reinstall the gimbal properly...I have no idea whats behind there or how its connected....

Old 02-28-2003, 09:05 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok the problem as I see it is we have a terminology issue. The part on the outside of the boat bolted to the transom I call the transom houseing. The part that looks like a hoop and allows the drive to turn left and right is the gimbal ring. The part inside that allowes the drive to trim up and down I call the bell housing.

If you want to remove the transom housing then you have to take out the engine and everything else. There are however a few places that you can get a wrench in behind it and look for bolts. I am guessing however that Formula did not through bolt in that manner. I would try backing out that bolt. If it is through bolted it will not back out at all. If it is a lag it will come right out and wont you be psyched as you will not have to pull your engines and everything else, just get a larger lag (they do make them in stainless).
There are a bunch of nuts and bolts on the inner transom plate that in Mercs infinate wisdome are steel. They do rust and can make streaks like what you are talking about.

Jon
Old 03-02-2003, 11:46 AM
formulaF302

Thank you very much....I think that was the information I was looking for in a nutshell. Sounds like an oversize lag and some 5200 sealer will save me a lotta work and lost sleep.....Glenn