The RIGHT WAY to do this!! >

The RIGHT WAY to do this!!

Notices

The RIGHT WAY to do this!!

Old 02-28-2003, 04:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The RIGHT WAY to do this!!

Well I got the taylor wires (Spiro-Pro) like everyone suggested..Thanks. But What I figured was a simple job has kinda been sidetracked. This is a simple question so why do I get several answers from different people What is the BEST way to fit custom wires for my SBC. Especially how to clip,cut and clamp the ends going to the D.U.I. (H.E.I) cap? Thanks guys (and girls). You are my heros

Bad-Habit
Old 02-28-2003, 07:57 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh No you didn't buy the Taylor wires did you??

Just kidding good choice. When I installed mine I laid them out in order and cut them about an inch or two longer than my stock wires. You should use a set of crimps made for that size cable (maybe NAPA or another auto parts store) obviously you don't want to smash the wire or have the ends fall off.
Use Dielectric grease on the boots to help them slide on the wire and also use some on the plug boots. As far as the separators go I would try and keep them in a nice clean order staying away from metal edges or high heat sources. I put number tags on mine up at the distributor so it would be a no brainier changing caps or whatever
I know this doesn't apply to you but make sure on BBC 5 & 7 and 4 & 8 wires are separated.

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head hope it helps a little

Last edited by Scott; 03-01-2003 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:11 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

When I run wires, I'll start at the plug and work twords the cap. I'll take the longest wire and put it on the furthest plug. Remember, some plugs have to go to the far side of the cap. I'll take the wire and drape it over the engine in the path that I want it to follow. I'll put a piece of tape on the cap with the cylinder number and another on the wire. I'll go all the way around the engine like this. Then I'll tie the wires together. I do it the nascar way. One 1/4" zip tie around all 4 wires with 3 more between them to separate the wires. This gives a really clean flowing look to the wires. After tying off the wires, I'll then start on the cap connection. Spagetti is unavoidable, but I try to make things as neat as possible. Again, smooth flowing curves are the best. Where the wires cross on the cap, I'll then slide some 1/4" loom over them.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:25 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

"One 1/4" zip tie around all 4 wires with 3 more between them to separate the wires."

Do you have a picture of this? I'm trying to figure out how you separate them?
Old 02-28-2003, 12:05 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Wish I had a pic. It would be alot easier than trying to explain it. Let's try this:

Look at your hand. Lets say your 4 fingers are the four wires. One zip tie will go around all 4 of your fingers. Don't pull it tight yet. Now you have a gap between each finger. In the gap you take a zip tie and loop it around the first one. The second tie only goes over the first one. It essentially becomes a spacer. You do this for the other two gaps. Now you can start to tighten all the ties. Watch the orientation of all your ties so that things look nice and neat.

Does that help?
Old 02-28-2003, 01:28 PM
olysan

I'm trying to picture this because my plug wires could use some clean up, but I'm struggling with the picture. When you refer to a zip tie is that the same thing as a tie wrap? If so aren't they like 1/16th" thick at most? I don't understand how using one as a spacer has any effect. Sounds like you just end up with a nice compact bundle of wires. I'm confused.

Mike

Old 02-28-2003, 03:12 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

your confused? I'm typing one handed right now because my fingers are wire tied together
Old 02-28-2003, 03:32 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Ok, I drew a picture. I havn't been able to post anything larger than a thumbnail image. If somebody could help me post the pic, we'll get it up here for all to see.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:21 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Ok, lets try this...
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

olysan-the "zip tie" is the same as a "wire tie". You are correct in the thickness, but we're using the width of the wire tie as the spacer. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ties are perpendicular to the first one. Only the first tie contains any wires. The other three are used only as spacers and loop around the first one. In my tiny diagram above, the first tie is the red one, the other three are purple.

Scott-what can I say!

Last edited by Cord; 02-28-2003 at 05:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.