Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Question - intercoolers >

Question - intercoolers

Notices

Question - intercoolers

Old 03-17-2003, 03:38 PM
bobby daniels

Tomcat how does the whipple innercooler work in your opinion compared to the others ????

Thanks

Old 03-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen dyno tests on certain brands that look great on a quick acceleration test, but based on there construction once they get heat soaked from running they will not cool as well, won't make the same type of power.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

bobby daniels - I have no personal experience but I have talked to Dustin about their cupronickel intercoolers, and they are more efficient. In other words, if you compare two intercoolers of the same size and shape with the same water flow, the cupronickel one will remove more heat than the aluminum one.

When you say compared to others I assume you're talking about their intercooler/intake manifold for Roots blowers. From the pictures I have seen, it looked like they opted for a shallower intercooler core with a larger cross-sectional area. As long as you balance flow across this larger area, this geometry helps a lot with both cooling and pressure loss.

RumRunner - You are right. When we tested NEVRENUFF's Procharged 454, we only tested for 30-45 seconds at WOT. I couldn't ask Paul for more than that. We proved our gains in HP over the standard intercooler, but temperatures from both intercoolers were still rising.

When you start the test, the intercooler is uniformly cool because of the water running through it. But as the charge air warms it up, the exiting air temperature rises as does the exiting water temperature. This lag is called thermal inertia or thermal transition. It helps you for short bursts of power. I was sorry that we didn't datalog these climbing temperatures because we could have seen how the curve was levelling out and made an estimate of final temperature at equilibrium.

Now here's a thought for you. When the air temperature exiting the intercooler warms up, the air density at the carb decreases. So the carb jetting becomes richer. This is a built in safety valve on a blowthrough carb. As long as you don't get too hot and cause detonation.