Question - intercoolers >

Question - intercoolers

Notices

Question - intercoolers

Old 03-12-2003, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question - intercoolers

Just wondering does anyone know the efficiency of an itercooler ?

I'm asking because I haven't dealt too much with blowers & I was playing around with dyno 2000 last night, and I noticed that changing intercooler efficiency, cahnges the results significantly.

Anyone have any insight on this ?

Thanks,
RJ
Old 03-12-2003, 09:56 AM
Registered

Default A little more detail

I guess I would be looking at the intercoolers associated with roots type blowers, or a whipple, not a centrifugal blower, but any info is appreciated.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:11 PM
Brad Perry

You might give Marv at the blower shop a call. He has test data on the more popular intercoolers...

Old 03-12-2003, 05:30 PM
Registered

do a search on OSO for intercoolers. Look for a post or posts by tomcat. You will find out all about intercoolers. He even did a dyno test with & without one this winter & posted the results.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

There are two efficiencies to worry about when using an intercooler. The first is cooling efficiency. This is defined as how close the charge air is cooled down to the temperature of the cooling medium, water in the case of a boat. For example, if the charge air enters the intercooler at 200F and leaves the intercooler at 130F using 100F water as the cooling medium the efficiency is (200-130)/(200-100) OR 70%. This is a pretty good number but you can do better if you size the intercooler and the water lines carefully.

The other "efficiency" is how much did you actually increase the density of the charge? If you cool the air, but cause a lot of restriction to air flow when adding the intercooler with hoses and elbows, you make it harder for the compressor to move air into the intake pathway, and you will not gain much HP.

For a good article on intercoolers for Roots blowers see the recent Family and Performance Boating magazine (Feb or Mar).
Old 03-12-2003, 09:24 PM
Registered

Thanks guys !
Old 03-13-2003, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also be aware that some intercoolers work great on a quick dyno pull, but when you run at extended periods of time (like in a boat) they loose there efficiency.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The number you want for the desktop dyno is how much heat is taken out by the intercooler. For most applications use 70%, for a custom intercooler of great size you can use 95-100+%.

So if ambient is 100degrees and S/C outlet is 200degrees and after the intercooler is 125degrees then 75% of the added heat(100degrees) is removed. If after intercooler is 100degrees then 100% and with cool water intercooling and after intercooler is 80degrees (20degrees below ambient) then 120%.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RumRunner
Also be aware that some intercoolers work great on a quick dyno pull, but when you run at extended periods of time (like in a boat) they loose there efficiency.
RumRunner I am confused. Some will say I am just that way anyway. I thought that intercoolers were really ment for those long pulls where heat can build and builds I can see if intercooler was not sized correctly to the application. Care to explain further what be aware some intercoolers refers to.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:48 AM
Registered

Family and Performance Boating magazine (Feb or Mar).

Doess anyone have a website or phone number on them ?

Quick Reply: Question - intercoolers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.