Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Alpha I Propshaft Replacement >

Alpha I Propshaft Replacement

Notices

Alpha I Propshaft Replacement

Old 03-21-2003, 11:27 AM
21_senza_383_2

Default Alpha I Propshaft Replacement

Can you guys tell me what is needed to replace a propshaft on an Alpha I outdrive? Special tools, press, etc? Is it a backyard job, or a PITA?

Where's the best place to buy a quality replacement?

Is it worth having one straightened?

Also, why can't I read the JPEGS that are posted (I am logged on)?

Old 03-21-2003, 02:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no expert but from what I've read you need special tools to tear it apart. Besides, there may be hidden damage inside that a novice may overlook. I'd let a pro tackle it.
And no I would't try straightening a shaft. It's easier and less labor intensive (cheaper) to just replace it.

As for the JPEG's, you have to be a paying member to view them.
Sorry.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yopu're not going to be able to backyard it without the correct tools.

You need to remove the rear carrier (often these are a pain), remove the water pump, remove the bearing retainer, remove the pinion gear, then pull up the vertical shaft, then take the lower shaft / gear / bearing assy out, then disassemble it & replace it. If you're in there, you might as well have it re-sealed also.

Oh yeah, when you put it all back together,you need to shim it to get all the stuff set back up right.

So what I'm sayin, is let someone who knows what they're doing do it. Not only is is a pain, but alphas have a lot of seals that can leak. So id they're already in there, I's suggest pulling the whole thing apart & having it re-sealed & pressure checked also.

BTW - where are you located ? I'm sure other members may be able to help you out, or recommend a good shop.

RJ
Old 03-24-2003, 12:04 PM
21_senza_383_2

Thanks for the feedback...I am located near Hartford, CT, and I usually use A&S or Mellen marine for boatwork.

This sounds expensive...with a skegguard on the lowerunit already, should I just be shopping for a replacement?