Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Crossover vs. Circulating Water Pump >

Crossover vs. Circulating Water Pump

Notices

Crossover vs. Circulating Water Pump

Old 04-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Irish Mist

Default Crossover vs. Circulating Water Pump

I am looking for advise or installing a crossover vs. a circulating water pump on a pair of 454 engines. What are the advantages? What are the disadvantages? What is the preferred kit? How much should I expect to pay for it?

Old 04-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have nothing now go with the crossover, the pump is just one more thing to go bad. They say the pump robs 20 hp, I would tend to think more like 5-10. The motor will run cooler without the pump so if you have high hp it will help keep them cool.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:47 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the problem. Often the engines will run too cool. You might also have pressure problems. Many members have gone to the crossover only to have to solve more problems than they were trying to prevent.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the pumps...No problems...Losing 5-10 hp on a boat is not
worth all the headaches with crossovers. Plus, The pumps help
eliminate any "hot spots" in the back of the motors
Old 04-07-2003, 07:20 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On a stock motor, I would stay with the water pump vs the crossover route. Like Cord said, creating more unneccessary problems with pressures and temps. Are motors EFI?

Stock setups are hard to beat.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:48 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Birdog's right. The circulating pumps help maintain a consistant temp. throughout the engine.
If they really weren't needed don't you think the factory would save a few bucks and eliminate them?
Old 04-08-2003, 06:53 AM
Offshore Addiction

the only reason merc installs them is because they come from GM with them already on the motor.....there is a couple MPH without them,you just have to make sure that you get your intake line secured properly,if your motor is EFI the youll need to run the T-stat version w/bypass,and there about 150 bucks!if there carbed then its your choice on the stats!if youve got serpentine belts then your SOL anyway!you cant put them on,only V-belt motors!

Last edited by Offshore Addiction; 04-08-2003 at 06:57 AM.

Old 04-08-2003, 08:17 AM
liquid lounge

There is a guy that visits this board occaisionally that makes and sells alot of crossovers....when I wanted to buy one for my application [500hp EFI motor], he recommended against saying the circulating pump would be a better choice for my app. Anyway, I appreciated his candor so much, that I bought some manifolds from him!! Who is this guy? Brownie at Stainless Marine...call him, he will give you the straight scoop.

Old 04-08-2003, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

THE DRIVE BELT FOR THE CIRCULATING IS A FRACTIONAL HP BELT. i DON'T THINK THE PUMP TAKES MORE THAN 1 OR 2 HP.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:56 AM
Offshore Addiction

hey brownie,whassss up?I still need you to straighten that bent tailpipe on my warlock,after daytona I'll ship it to ya!

Quick Reply: Crossover vs. Circulating Water Pump

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.