labbed prop vs exhaust system ?

Notices

labbed prop vs exhaust system ?

Old 04-13-2003, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default labbed prop vs exhaust system ?

need opinions on best bang for buck on best performance upgrade. have astock 1998 502efi mag with ( k+n filter, msd ignit,adj fuel reg, ecu recalib.) spinning a bravo 1 24p at 4850 rpm wot. would labbing prop to get around 5000-5100 wot rpm or adding exhaust give me the most for top end speed ?
Old 04-13-2003, 09:00 PM
Registered

Default Re: labbed prop vs exhaust system ?

Originally posted by 26sonic
need opinions on best bang for buck on best performance upgrade. have astock 1998 502efi mag with ( k+n filter, msd ignit,adj fuel reg, ecu recalib.) spinning a bravo 1 24p at 4850 rpm wot. would labbing prop to get around 5000-5100 wot rpm or adding exhaust give me the most for top end speed ?
Doing both would be the best but ,I will personally guarantee YOU ,I will get you the extra rpm and last few mph out of your stock prop/ AND insure it to be perfectly balanced, satin finished or high polished, it's your choice. How much difference did the light mod's you have made change the rpm???? just a guess around 200 ???

Darin

Last edited by HOUSTONPROP; 04-14-2003 at 03:02 AM.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

26 sonic, Hi, thanks for the personal message you sent me ages ago, I couldn't figure out how to send a reply, my computer skills are non-existent. I'm no expert, but I know Mercury can give you 300 RPM on a lab job. Even though you have some motor mods, I don't think exhaust will do better than an additional 300 RPM, and at a much higher cost. I have a Mirage Plus 25p that has been labbed if you want to try it, but I think a Bravo style would be a better choice for all around. I just got my boat out of storage on Saturday so now I can get started on my work. Steve
Old 04-14-2003, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not a big fan of stock exhaust for many reasons. I got to tell you though that a lab prop will get you more for your $$$ than the exhaust unless you plan on further motor upgrades. Been there done that. Just my experience.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:36 AM
Offshore Addiction

ya but spending the money on a labbed prop prior to upgrades such as exhaust will leave that labbed prop your fixin to buy in the box and needin a new one,or relabbing after the additional upgrades!

Old 04-14-2003, 06:45 AM
Registered

The exhaust upgrades is something you will have as part of your engine and will enhance further changes to the engine. The performance gain to a stock engine may be marginal. However the lab finishing will be good only until you touch the bottom. There is no free lunch, lab finishing takes impact resistance away from the prop. If the type of boating you do allows you not to worry about shallow water, go with the lab finishing.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:34 AM
Registered

Default questions and suggestions.

yep!!!!!!!!!!!! it makes them thinner /just depends on how thin you want it as the mirage plus is very thick to start with, so it can be thinned quite a bit and still retain durability as well as the rev and bravo ,but the bravo is the thinner of all of the three prop mentioned, I do agree with the exhaust up grade as well. go for both/exhaust first then propeller./Darin