99 Tahoe problems...

Notices

99 Tahoe problems...

Old 04-28-2003, 08:34 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 Tahoe problems...

The Wifes Tahoe is havng some electrical issues.....driving down the road the dome lights go on and off. The dealer had it all day Friday and $250 later its still not fixed! The lights will come on and drain the battery while she's working and thats a bad thing.... I took the fuse out and there is still a draw on the battery any thoughts? The car has never been in a accident....its back at the dealer this AM with the $80 per hour Super Tech's working on it.....
Old 04-28-2003, 09:58 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

Heres what you can do to try and chase the problem down yourself.....your will probably need two people for this unless you extend the leads on the volt meter....
unhokk the Neg batt cable from the batt and hook up your volt meter inbetween the leads and have it set to read amps.....if there is anything making a draw it will show....obviously the ECM (computer) and radio clock will have some draw to keep memory on those....from this point on you start pulling fuses to see if it affects any readings......my personal guess from what you describe is that you either have a faulty door switch or a ground short in the lighting system or the keyless entry modual is going bad..... Let us know if they find the problem

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-28-2003, 10:49 AM
Bust-a?

I was going to say faulty door switch too. I haven't heard of too many Chevy's doing this but I have several friends with Ford Superduty's that have had the symptoms you've described and every one of them was the door switch.

Old 04-28-2003, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a Dodge with a Cummins diesel. Problem solved.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

I had this problem with an older 92 chevy. My dome light would not go off. It was a bad cigarette lighter. I put a new one in and that was the end of my problem. My friend is a master mechanic for a Chevy dealership and he told me the fix over the phone. It's worth a shot.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:51 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

To add a few things.
If you hook up an amp meter, Chevrolet says that .08 amp draw is normal. If you have more than that, start pulling fuses. If you pull ALL the fuses and still have a draw, disconnect the alternator wires, then the starter wires.
Being that the dome light is on, I would concentrate on the door pins as well. I had a similar problem in a Tahoe, it ended up being the tailgate door pin.
Does this truck have an alarm? That can keep the dome light on also.
The dome light is controlled by the Body Control Module. This is what keeps the light on for a few seconds after you exit the truck. You may need to scan for Body codes.
If you want a wiring diagram for this circuit, send me your e-mail. I'll get it out to you.

Last edited by Vinny P; 04-28-2003 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:43 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Well they pulled there heads out of there asses and figured out it was the door switch good call Wally! I told them I thought it was something easy, but I was layed up after my surgury couldn't lay on the truck floor....well all said and done they refunded me $150 for a part I didn't need ....
Old 04-28-2003, 07:56 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

MY wifes 99 Yukon had the same problem. It was so STUPID it was a sin. She aparently hit the button for the rear window release. This released the window , but it didn't go up , but did bounce around causing the dome lights to flash on and off while driving
Solution...close the window
Old 04-29-2003, 09:22 AM
Registered

Originally posted by mopower
MY wifes 99 Yukon had the same problem. It was so STUPID it was a sin. She aparently hit the button for the rear window release. This released the window , but it didn't go up , but did bounce around causing the dome lights to flash on and off while driving
Solution...close the window
I did the same thing, didn't close the glass all the way, Lights would come on everty time I hit a bump finally I stepped on the gas and the glass popped open all the way. I kicked my self in the ass for about an hour.