keep cast iron or go to gils >

keep cast iron or go to gils

Notices

keep cast iron or go to gils

Old 05-05-2003, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keep cast iron or go to gils

can someone tell me how much and how big a hassle to put Gil manifolds on older 454s, I will need different mounts for ignition module and oil filter as they currently are bolted on to the cast manifolds.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:41 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

As far as the ignition module and remote oil filter, just mount them on the transom. I do have a shift/throttle bracket for Gil exhaust if you need one.
If you're buying something new, I would look at other brands also. Most cost less.
BTW, I just took off a set of Gils off my '96 525SC. Both manifolds had internal cracks. I do have a set of standard Bravo risers that I'd sell cheap.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:43 PM
Registered

yea, and the shifter bracket if you have bravos. Its not that big of a deal, you can buy them with the brackets or mount most everything on the transom. They are a lot lighter, perform better, but make it a ***** to get at plugs if you have twins.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Registered

woa, you cant say b*tch now?
Old 05-06-2003, 08:59 AM
Registered

Default Keep cast iron or go to GIL

It's probably general consensus that you change to anything other than stock manifold/risers when replacing exhaust. That is, if your stock pieces are starting to have problems. If your motor is stock, there's probably little reason to change unless there's a problem with what you have. My preference is Stainless Marine, but there are many others that are fine as well. You will save a lot of weight and there will be no rust and more importantly you can eliminate the water passage through the riser/manifold joint.

I don't think aftermarket is a good investment for a stock engine except when the stock equipment requires replacement. I don't think most people would go back with stock manifold/risers.

Don't forget the shift and oil filter brackets when ordering aftermarket.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Registered

Talk to brownie @ stainless marine..............if you are going to upgrade. Great manifolds, excellent warranty, shift & Oil filter brackets available to bolt to stock location. This makes installation very easy.

Although, I would recommend mounting the shifter on the transon (the less bends in the cables the better).

Take a look at stainlessmarine.com

RJ
Old 05-06-2003, 04:53 PM
Registered

With all the problems caused by stock cast risers I am very surprised at these responses. I will never run a boat motor with stock merc risers again. I learned the hard way. With just over 100 hours on a stock 502MAG I destroyed my top end with a leak. The gasket let go on the inside so nothing was visible until it came apart.
I think its cheap insurance with minimal performance benefits if done alone.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:45 PM
Registered

I would look into Revolution marines exhuast manifolds. Nice looking better performance than stock and are tons less than anyone else I have seen. check them out. www.revolutionmarine.com
Old 05-06-2003, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

The Revolution Marine manifolds look too much like the stock Merc exhausts with too many sharp turns within the riser. You might think about considering the Stainless Marine aftermarket exhaust manifold.

Last edited by KAAMA; 05-06-2003 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Registered

It seems to be consensus that stock exhaust is second choice for most of you guys. The question that comes to my mind is "Why don't the manufacturers put good ones on in the first place?" It seems they would have happier customers that way.