Help Gas Smell! >

Help Gas Smell!

Notices

Help Gas Smell!

Old 05-09-2003, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Gas Smell!

My boat '99 27 Fever has a gas smell when I pull it out of storage if I filled it up before I put it up. It goes away as soon as you run the blowers. Today I took the inspection plate that covers the sending unit and pick-up. Bingo! The top of the tank around the sending unit and pick up are damp. Not real wet but damp. Cant really tell where its comming from. Its got to be the pick-up or sending unit.

Any ideas as to which one it is? Is one more likely to seep than the other? Does the fact that it only happens when its full mean anything? Any tricks as to removing, replacing, and resealing both units?

Somebody must have gone through this before.

Ron
Old 05-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Gas expands and contracts with temp change. If my tank is really full and the temp changes drastically it will spill out my fuel vent. In any event you probably need to check the gasket were your sending unit bolts down.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re-seal the sender gasket with a sealant called hylomar by Permatex. Available at most auto supply houses. Never use silicone. It will fail when used with current gasoline formulas. Snug the sender bolts evenly and never overtighten (easy to strip threads). replace the gasket if it is hard, torn, or distorted.