SBC head choice >

SBC head choice

Notices

SBC head choice

Old 06-05-2003, 06:56 AM
seeeya

Default SBC head choice

Help my heads are cracked.
Advice needed for new heads on sbc 355 ci, I want to reuse my 600 edelbrock carb, performer intake, cast crank, trw flat top pistons,
I want to run 5000 rpm and idle down to 600 rpm"alpha drive"
What size runners? combustion chambers? I run 92 octane
I need to know what head/cam combo would be good for this application. I want to keep cost of heads down under 1000$
Dart iron eagle? World Products sportsmans? Torquers?
Any advice would be GREATLY appriciated.

Thank you
Scott

Old 06-05-2003, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of GM angle plug Bowtie cast iron heads with 184 CC intake runners and 64 CC combustion chambers. These heads are set up to run with a small solid roller cam and have 1.55" springs. I need $500.00 for the set and they include guide plates and 7/16" studs. You would need different springs for a hydraulic cam and with 64 CC's your compression will be borderline for pump gas, but they will perform very well. These have 2.05" intake valves and 1.60 exhausts.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:37 AM
olysan

Wette Vette's heads sound perfect for what you're doing. I'd jump on that deal.

Old 06-05-2003, 08:54 PM
seeeya

I will consider those heads Wette Vette, I am concerned about the compression. My old heads were 76cc.
I need to do some research on this as I am a novice to engines and wouldn't know what a good head/deal was.

Old 06-06-2003, 10:59 AM
blown1500

seeeya, you will not like the compression with WETT VETTE's heads. You will need race gas to run it. Flat tops limit what will work a great deal. 72cc Dart Sportsman II with the spring upgrades are very good, but not the only choice. Smaller chanbers than 72cc is asking for trouble. If you will contact me or Bobby Daniels, we can discuss cams as this is critical, we need more info.
WETTE VETTE's heads sound great, but too much compression for you!!!

Old 06-06-2003, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is kinda what I thought. Compression will be around 9.72:1 with the flat top pistons that have the 4 valve reliefs with .040" gasket. Thicker gaskets are available which will drop the compression some. Check Pro Topline heads in Summitt. $829 for 72 CC heads set up for hydraulic cam new. If you are running stock exhaust the angle plugs could be a problem as well on my Bowties, however we ran them that way with no issues. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro-Action

For the money and the performance capacity, Pro-Action cylinder heads are HARD to beat. you can get them in iron or aluminum, cast ports or CNC... 64 or 72 CC chambers, straight or angle plug. Bare castings for 270/ea roughly or a complete set with your required spring setup, studs, HD SS & inconel valves for under a grand...

they claim to outflow the competition by 5%... i flowed my 220's before installation and i was about 3% below the advertised values... still very impressive.

you didn't mention what you were running for a camshaft but with your initial info i'd go with the 180 cc intakes.

you can get them straight from Summit Racing, on the shelf.

for more info you can check out http://www.protopline.com for a complete spec on them.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:07 AM
seeeya

Thanks jaroot
I got blown1500's phone number and will call him sat for his input also.
I have a summit catalog and have been looking at the Pro-Action & Dart iron eagle also the Sportsman II.
I was running a comp cam 270H 224/224, but I was told that was a little small so I am ready to upgrade to a bigger cam also.
My old heads were 441 castings that were ported and polished with 202/160 valves. I wonder what those heads might have flowed?