Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Msd Question >

Msd Question

Notices

Msd Question

Old 07-02-2003, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Follow up to above, I changed the box and my RPM's seemed to come up a couple hundred, the small rpm fluctuation that I had at cruise cleared up, to finish the conversion to all new parts I changed the msd blaster coil to a new msd blaster coil and all hell broke out when I started the engine back up. It was constantly back fireing through the exhaust and running real rough. I put the timming light on it, my timming is usually locked at 35 deg. but the timing with the new coil is all over the place. when it was possible to read, it would bounce from 30 to 40 plus rpm's with the light. changed back to the old coil and engine ran fine again. I made sure that all conections were correct. I thought that all the coil did was store voltage to be discharged when the trigger on the distributure told it to, how did this one effect the timming so much? I also think it may have done some dammage to the box as I periodically get a bad stumble after idelling for a time while off plane
Old 07-02-2003, 12:00 PM
bobby daniels

Man Mike I'm like you thats weird !!!!!
I don't know how that could have happened call them and ask
let me know

this is going to sound stupid but on some apps. the coil wire has to be shorter than 10 inch and longer than 12 or it goes crazy so explain that one ,,,?????? That was learned the hard way and still don't undrstand it