Borg Warner transmission not engaging >

Borg Warner transmission not engaging

Notices

Borg Warner transmission not engaging

Old 06-29-2003, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Borg Warner transmission not engaging

After disassembling and reassembling my Borg Warner TRS transmission to reinstall the end cap on the splined coupler, the transmission does not engage. It worked fine last summer.

Possible causes:
1. The pump was put in backwards. Possible, but unlikely, as the FAA Mechanic / Mechanical Examiner who was helping me was VERY systematic with how he removed parts, placed them on the work bench, and reinstalled them

2. The pump was put in dry. I really don’t recall if we lubed it, and the other guy is in the Middle East now, and out of contact.

3. Clutch plates not engaging? How could we have caused that one?

4. Shift linkage not connected. I wish it was that easy.

5. Other?

What I have done so far:
1. Confirmed there is fluid in it.

2. Taken the top cooling hose off, turned the engine over by the starter, and also fired it up, and there is no fluid pumping through the hose or the fitting on the top of the transmission

3. Cried and cussed a little

Questions:
1. What can I do to diagnose and repair this in the boat? I just don’t want to pull the engine again. (Waterfowl, I feel your pain)

2. If I pour fluid down in through the top cooling hose, can that help the pump to seal?

3. There is Dextron ATF in there now. Is there something else that helps form a better seal for the pump that I should use now, while the engine is in the boat?

4. Once repaired, is there a way to confirm it works without dragging the boat to the water?

5. If the trany does have to come apart, what should I look for?

6. Any other questions I should be asking?

Thanks. It is half way through summer, and I haven’t even gotten the boat off the trailer yet.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:40 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

If it is not pumping fluid than most likely either the pump is 180 degrees off or the key was left out. There are 2 arrows on the pump housing, it should be installed so the arrow that is on the top matches the engine rotation.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:57 PM
Registered

Bam: Thanks for your advice, but I would rather have advice that does not involve pulling the engine again. I've had the drive off so many times this spring, that I'm wearing out the alignment tool you sold me.

Another question: Will it hurt anything to engage the drive while the boat is on the trailer, running on the hose? (With the prop removed of course!)
Old 06-30-2003, 04:52 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

No not at all, but as you know remove the prop!
Old 07-01-2003, 04:42 PM
Registered

Anyone else have a suggestion before I pull the engine and dis-assemble the trany again? At this point I'd try dancing nekid waving chicken feet and horse feathers if someone makes a convencing argument that it might fix the problem without pulling the engine again.