Engine cutting out

Notices

Engine cutting out

Old 07-07-2003, 09:37 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by formula31
No, these are plastic rectangular tubes that attach to the top of the metering blocks (vent) and extend into the float chamber. Ill try and get a picture tonight when I get home.
Oh yeah!! Those!! Yeah, if you don't have those in there Tim, it would do just about what you're talking about. I know mine has them, I've had my carb apart enough times to know this!!!! LOL!!!
Old 08-27-2003, 08:06 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Ok, as a quickie fix I hacked the j tubes off and connected them with a rubber hose. The first time I tried to start the engine, it flooded and had raw fuel dripping from the throttle shafts. I put a small notch into the hose and it solved the flooding problem. The hose seems to have reduced the flooding, but it has not eliminated it.

I tried to check the float levels and they seemed to be high. I pulled the pulgs out and fuel would dribble out of the holes. I lowered the float level (by turning the screw in) but could not stop the fuel dribble. I reduced the fuel pressure to 6psi with no change. I just came back in from replacing the needles and seats. No change. I also put some clear plugs in and I can see that the fuel is over the top. The needles are still screwed all the way in. Where do I go now?
Old 08-27-2003, 08:08 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Oh, yea...those retangular vent tubes are in place.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

It is definitly sounding like the float level. Lower it till the fuel is just about level with the hole.
If you only turned the screw that doesnt lower or raise the level. What the screw does is lock the hex nut under it. The hex nut lowers and raises the level. Back out the screw and then turn the nut for up or down, then retighten the screw.

Dan
Old 08-27-2003, 09:43 PM
Registered

I was actually refering to the hex nut even though I was calling it a screw. If I take the hex nut off, I see the flat sided float needle assembly. If I turn assembly in so it's flush with the top of the bowl, a small amount of fuel dribbles out. If I back it out of the bowl a couple of turns, a small amount of fuel still dribbles out. Now that I have the plugs back in, the bowl fuel level is too high. Even with the correct fuel pressure and new needles, I can't seem to control the fuel level.

This is happening to both bowls. The floats are plastic and sound dry when I shake them.

Last edited by Mrs Cord; 08-27-2003 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never had any luck with plastic floats in a boat especially. You may want to check or replace your needle seats. You can pull them without removing the bowls. I have had trouble with 'O" rings on seat assembly's cause trouble you describe also. My guess is "O" ring or needle seat leaking by. Oh yea did I say junk the plastic floats. Let us know what you finally find is the trouble.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:58 AM
Registered

Originally posted by paradigm shift
I have never had any luck with plastic floats in a boat especially. You may want to check or replace your needle seats. You can pull them without removing the bowls. I have had trouble with 'O" rings on seat assembly's cause trouble you describe also. My guess is "O" ring or needle seat leaking by. Oh yea did I say junk the plastic floats. Let us know what you finally find is the trouble.
I had the plastic floats in my 830s, always had trouble until I replaced them with brass floats. Like paradigm said, get'em out.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:26 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I'm having the mrs pick up two new floats as we speak. How are they absorbing the fuel? I checked the floats and they were dry.

paradigm-I already replaced the needle and seat assuming that they were not sealing.