Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
B1 not trimming up as far as it should. >

B1 not trimming up as far as it should.

Notices

B1 not trimming up as far as it should.

Old 07-22-2003, 01:04 PM
Steve_H

Question B1 not trimming up as far as it should.

this should be easy for you guys........i hope

beginning of summer the trim would come up to 90° or the third mark on the gauge. first mark being no trim or all the way down.
now it wont come past the second mark.
fluid level is good.

ive lost speed also because i cant trim it out as far.

any ideas?

thanks in advance.

Steve

Old 07-22-2003, 01:19 PM
blackhawk

If you don't have a hp gimble assy there is an adjustment "cap" on each side of the gimble ring where the bell housing bolts to it. One side adjust your trim stop and one side is for your gauge. Loosen up the two phillips screws and adjust it left or right(can't remember what way) until you get the trim you need. I think the port side is for the stop, it says on the caps.

You may want to take it totally apart and clean it, sometimes they get tarnished inside.

Old 07-22-2003, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the pump cut off or does it run but the drive will not extend further.

If the pump cuts off, then it is stopping with the trim limiter in the back. The "ears" on either side of your bravo are the trim indication on one side and trim limit on the other. Adjust until you get the indication and trim limit you need.

You can by-pass this system by jumping it from the inside of the boat. (looks like black speaker wire). There are two sets. One goes to the pump one goes to the engine harness. You want the one going to the pump. The other is your trim indication.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:33 PM
Steve_H

thanks for the info guys!
went out and worked on it tonight. lowered drive to full down position.
turned key on , raised drive and watched gauge and listened to the pump motor. noticed the pump stopped very briefly then ran again before reaching the top position. gauge was pointing straight up like beginning of summer.

since the pump stopped briefly i decided to clean the 2 contacts in the port "ear" cap as recommended. one side turned out to be kinda dirty. made the mistake of not taking note of the position it was in before i took it apart so just guessed and put it back in. had g/f raise and lower the drive while holding the cap on the drive and watched how it worked with the cover off. found what i think is the highest position i want the drive trimmed to and put the cover back on and tightened the 2 adjustment screws.

re-adjusted the starboard cap that controls the trim gauge by finding the point where the gauge needle starts moving as soon as the trim button is pushed.

the needle now stops between the 3rd and 4th mark or half a mark higher then the beginning of summer.

will lake trial tommorow!

if she wants to bark at the moon guess ill have to re-adjust it a tad

anything i should watch for or be carefull of when i take her out?

thanks again guys. feels good to try and fix it myself........with your help!

almost forgot , pump no longer hesitates

Old 07-23-2003, 11:26 PM
Registered

Just the beginning, have fun.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maximum up trim(not trailer position)is measured from center to center of the ram mount pins and is 21 3/4 inches on a Bravo One. You should check this before you run it. If the trim is too far out, you may damage the gimbal.

Warren
Old 07-24-2003, 12:24 AM
Steve_H

Originally posted by wwbobb
Maximum up trim(not trailer position)is measured from center to center of the ram mount pins and is 21 3/4 inches on a Bravo One. You should check this before you run it. If the trim is too far out, you may damage the gimbal.

Warren
ram mount pins?
chit , anyone have a closeup pic of them?

Old 07-24-2003, 12:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

They are the pins on either end of the trim cylinder rams. Should be a plastic cap covering the nuts. Just measure from the center of the exposed screws in the center of the caps.

Warren

Last edited by wwbobb; 07-24-2003 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:50 AM
Steve_H

oh those

thanks for the heads up Warren!
ill check the measurement before i take her out.

Old 07-24-2003, 09:30 PM
Registered

I just went through all this on my twin bravos

a couple things.

as wwbob said. the specification for center to center distance of the attachment bolts (pins) of the hydraulic rams is 21 3/4" at max trim

i set mine just a touch higher since i thought i was smarter than mercruiser.
i wasn't. the boat porpoused and i felt a slight vibration on the ujoints at WOT.

so i re adjusted to the spec. i then set the indicator side (starboard) so that this showed the helm gauges right in the center (90 as you refer)

now when i plane off, i run both trim buttons till the drives stop automatically, this happens to be my top speed setting. and the gauges show on center tick (90 deg)

IMPORTANT POINT #2

your limit switch may have stopped the drive too early because the bold behind it (gimbal bolt) has rotated slightly. in my case it was stripped. i drilled out the bolt hole and put in a stainless helicoil with some locktite for good measure. i then reinstalled the bolt with 1 drop of locktite for double extra good meaasure. this can be done on the boat by removing both bolts, and sliding the drive on the spline just enough to get the 1/2" hand drill to the exposed hole. keep the rams attached as they make the pivot point as you rotate the drive, srawing out the spline
I made a drill guide out of a delron block to make sure to drill a perpendicular hole

torqued to 150 ft lbs

if you cannot get this torque on original bolt, you may need the helicoil fix. in that case. you can be my third free customer of the helicoil kit with my drill guide, since they are $60
just return when done, like the others i loaned it to, no problem.

now in the future i will know that if the gauge ever reads something other than my center tick at the limit, either the starboard or port bolts have rotated and are probably stripped. a common problem with the bravos. do a seach and you will see my input on other strings

good luck. and don't over trim.

Quick Reply: B1 not trimming up as far as it should.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.