Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine Oil drain kits >

Engine Oil drain kits

Notices

Engine Oil drain kits

Old 09-12-2003, 01:14 PM
sparky1

Default Engine Oil drain kits

I'm looking at a Jabsco or Shurflo engine oil drain kit where the electric pump is mounted on a bucket. The only ones in my area only come with the dipstick tube. My engines are also set up with the garden hose fittings. I know they do make the drain pumps that hook to the garden hose fitting vs. feeding the tube down the dipstick.

Any opinions on which works better - the dipstick tube or the garden hose fitting?

Old 09-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neither. The best & easiest one I found is the hose that connects to the oil pan. All you have to do is stick the hose out the boat drain hole, set a bucket down, remove cap & walk away. After oil is done draining in pan, replace cap, pull hose back in boat & replace boat's drain plug. I have used both of the other types & this is the easiest with the least mess to clean up after you are done.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with the hose out the transom set up but only if time is not an issue and you do not need to change oil while in the water. They are slow but hey gives me more beer time. There are several pumps made from the basic hand pump to electric permanent or portable type including vacuum pumps with a container as you have found. Just depends on what your needs are and pocket can afford. You could always just change / modify hose set up for a garden hose type connection if that is what you want. Just a thought. I think either type works about the same. Only problem with going down the tube is if something (hose) breaks!
Old 09-13-2003, 04:30 PM
Registered

Being an inboard owner for many years, I've had to deal with the dipsticks like you've got with the garden hose fittings. I just chopped off the end of an old garden hose, made sure it had a good gasket in it, and fastened it to the Jabsco bucket changer.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:03 PM
sparky1

Thanks guys. I finally found one with both tubes so I'll see if there is any difference. The oil pan hose sounds nice but I have twins and I assume they'd need to come out to get that set up.

Old 09-14-2003, 07:09 PM
Al Oakley

west marine sells agood one holds 12 quarts .i think it is a jabsco product.

Old 09-14-2003, 08:10 PM
Registered

The best is a reverso pump. I think their website is www.reversopumps.com Costs about double the Jabsco but should last and works fast.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Engine Oil drain kits

Originally Posted by Turbojack
Neither. The best & easiest one I found is the hose that connects to the oil pan. All you have to do is stick the hose out the boat drain hole, set a bucket down, remove cap & walk away. After oil is done draining in pan, replace cap, pull hose back in boat & replace boat's drain plug. I have used both of the other types & this is the easiest with the least mess to clean up after you are done.
I'm looking to do this same thing, I just want to make sure I get a hose that will fit out my bilge drain hole......I'm looking a the "JAbsco" Permanent Oil Drain System and it looks like it's big in the picture in the catalogs.....What set up are you useing????
Old 08-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Andy Buzz-- I've got both the Jabsco and Shurflo setups but would like something better. Just looked at the Reverso website--very impressive. Thanks for the tip. Lou
Old 08-08-2004, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

I've got permanent changing pump systems in a couple of boats.

I also have a Jabsco bucket pump. I like it.
I NEVER pump INTO THE BUCKET. I keep the bucket clean and lined with paper towels. I use the bucket to hold all of the different lengths of hose and adaptors and stuff I've collected. I pump into empty gallon or 5 gallon buckets. I clean out my hoses and plug the ends with wadded paper towel plugs.

The Merc dipstick fitting works well. Lightly warm the oil and she'll pump out in about 2 minutes.