Tailpipe Question ??? >

Tailpipe Question ???

Notices

Tailpipe Question ???

Old 09-19-2003, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tailpipe Question ???

My buddy went from a pair of 500's to a pair of tall deck motors. He is trying to use the same Gil Manifolds and tailpipes that came with the 500's, but the tall decks are higher so now the pipes don't line up with the holes in the transom.

We looked in a catalog (i forget which one, maybe cp performance?) and they offered spacers (wedges) that tapered from 1/8" to 1/2". This looks like it would work because it will raise the front of the tailpipe about 3/8" and intern will align the tailpipe to the transom hole.

only thing is they are $200 for a set. that's $400 for all four that we need.

Does anyone else know where we may be able to find these tapered spacers?

also i was wondering, if we do use these spacers what will happen when you torque down on the bolts? now the base is on an angle, so only 1 side on the bolt will touch the base. i guess we will need a tapered washer to apply even pressure to the base ????
Old 09-19-2003, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought some stock aluminum plate for $10. Had it cut & machined to the correct taper at a shop ($50 min). Then drilled out the center and 4 bolt holes on my drill press (free).
Set of 4 wedges = $60. BTW a wood hole saw will drill the aluminum fine, just keep it cool.
No problem torqing the bolts down. The angle is not that great.
Just line up the riser to the exhaust hole and measure the wedge thickness carefully. I screwed one up, but the shop remachined it for free.
Gary
Old 09-19-2003, 03:55 PM
Mr. Demeanor

I dont have my Boat US catalogue but I remember seeing some flexible rubber connectors that are made for what your trying to do. They have some blue silicone oes that lok real nice bu if I remember they were also quite expensive. If I can find them I'll post a link.

Old 09-19-2003, 04:03 PM
Mr. Demeanor

Heres a link to West Marine. The hump hose is what I was thinking of. It lets you make a small change in direction.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...der=asc&seq=25