Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
2 speed props, anyone running one? >

2 speed props, anyone running one?

Notices

2 speed props, anyone running one?

Old 01-08-2002, 01:19 PM
OX

Post 2 speed props, anyone running one?

Searched the archives, but the search was running for 5 minutes and seemed "stuck", so I gave up :-)

Had one on my last boat and it was great, but I plan on a blower for my new 496 sooner or later (last boat was only about 280 HP). Was wondering if anyone was using a Power Pitch 2 speed with upwards of 500 HP. I was thinking of 19/25 or 20/26. Don't plan on much over 70MPH.

Thanks

Old 01-08-2002, 01:26 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have never seen any threads about these props. What is eth deal with them? Does the manufacturer have a website? How coudl they be "2 speed" do the blades change pitch or something?
Old 01-08-2002, 01:46 PM
imq707s

A company called Land & Sea makes a "torque-shift prop" that changes pitch as the RPM increases. I've heard that they work pretty well. I think thier website is http://www.maxrules.com/fixlandnsea.html

Old 01-08-2002, 01:47 PM
Registered

The AEROSTAR powerpitch prop is a pretty good setup. My buddie has one on his 240 sport baja with a 350+ hp V8 outboard. The blades rotate to achieve a higher pitch. I think they are good for around 400 hp. He broke his once over a few years. It gives you 6" of pitch change. His takes off at 19 pitch and it shifts into 25 pitch. The shift is determined where you set it, it has a knob on the hub which changes the shifting rpm. His boat will spank most jetski's outta the hole. It takes off and at about 6500 rpm it shifted and bang, it knocks you right back in your seat. It was like 1-2 mph slower then normal props..

My buddie also tried the Land and Sea torque shift and he destroyed it.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: traviss ]
Old 01-08-2002, 03:10 PM
OX

Here is pic of my old one, but that was on an OMC drive, so I sold it with the boat. http://www.thecore.com/~luxjo/boat/prop.jpg

So I guess 500 HP is out of the question for this prop?? Too bad, I had the same experience on my old boat, running my buddies 900 wave runner from a dead stop right up to about 60, we were dead even :-). Maybe I have to rethink the blower since I ski with this boat and I don't think a 25/26" fixed prop would not be much fun pullin up a slalom skier.

Old 01-08-2002, 04:38 PM
Brad Perry

You might be surpised just how much torque the blower will add, even way down low if it is a positive displacement type. Hard on the drive though.

FYI, I've had bad past experience with the L&S prop.

Old 01-08-2002, 06:19 PM
Registered

I had a Land & sea on a ski boat and it worked very well- I think they are reported to grenade after a certain HP- 300 or so. Definatly not to be used with a blower
Old 01-08-2002, 06:42 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Yes, the L&S will not handle the H.P. Under 300 HP it's not bad, But over that and your rebuilding it after every weekend.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Land and Sea Torqueshifts do not like high RPMs either, I think they recommend not turning them over 3000 RPM's they work great on boats that don't have a lot of power and never aereate the prop.
I had one on a Hydrostream with a 175Horse Mariner and it worked great for skiing but liked to throw blades if run at a high RPM or if the Prop came out of the water.
Caleb
Old 01-09-2002, 05:06 AM
turbo2256

I have a 19/25 Land and Sea I would sell. Haven't even finished breaking it in. When it started to shift properly
(they require some break in) it felt like a jet boat accelerating. Never finished tweeking the shift points blade angles or anything. For skii and drag etc it seems great but for offshore as I run there seemed to be no advantage

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: bopp ]

Quick Reply: 2 speed props, anyone running one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.