New Ignition System >

New Ignition System

Notices

New Ignition System

Old 10-02-2003, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ignition System

I want to upgrade my ignition system and I'm not 100% sure on what I need. I currently have old dual point distributors and their nothing but problems. After reading previous posts I'll probably buy D.U.I distributors I just wanted to check here first and see if there was anything else I would need to buy to put them on stock 330's? also, where is the best place to order them from? Thanks for the help.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:59 AM
Registered

One 12 v wire (keyed to the ignition) is all that's needed.
See my post:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ht=distributor
Old 10-02-2003, 10:24 AM
Registered

Default DUI Question

When my builder was putting my motor together, he said that I needed to replace the old dual point distributors. He suggested MSD and gave me alot of reasons why. When I mentioned the DUI may be a good alternative he asked me what would happen if I needed a part on a Saturday morning to run for the day? MSD replacement parts are available at most auto stores, while he was not sure if parts for a DUI would be as readily available. He also said that has the diagnostic tools for MSD and not DUI.

In the end, I did as the builder suggested and bought MSD, although the pricing and simplicity of the DUI was very appealing to me. One of the lessons I learned in life is that you never follow the elephants in a parade and you never piss off your engine builder.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:51 PM
Dennis Moore

Check out the Pertronix II systems. They are very reliable and fit inside the Mallory without removing the distributors. Might even improve your performance by one or two horsepower!
The DUI distributors are great but they are very large in diameter and tall. They may require moving some things around on the top of the engine (lifting eye and wiring harness plug). Do you have enough room above the distributor caps to install taller distributors?
Dennis Moore

Old 10-02-2003, 07:24 PM
Registered

I may be way off base here, but Merc's old T-Bolt IV system was (and still is for me) the simplest, most trouble free, and most programmable (with available modules), system out there today. If you can find that stuff used, I'd recommend that you buy it. Otherwise, see what's available from Merc. new. I don't really want to dispute Dennis here, but I think that the T-Bolt IV is the most natural upgrade from the old, venerable dual point. --- Jer
Old 10-02-2003, 08:27 PM
Al Oakley

delco electronic are very reliable . the kits come with coil wires .and a good advance curve. I have instaled a lot of them on s/m chevy. beter fuel econemy too.they sell for 364.00

Old 10-03-2003, 07:42 AM
Registered

I actually have accel distributors right now, i was assuming they weren't marine which was another reason to replace them but now i see accel does or did make a marine distributor. I'd prefer to just put in a conversion kit if their available but have not been able to find them for accel. I'll look into how much room i have as well as the other brands (i have all winter) right now i'm just kind of weighing my options. Thanks for all the input.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:11 AM
Registered

My opinion/experienxce, ranked by reliability
1) DUI (over 10 yrs, never a failure)
2) Tbolt IV (nearly 10 yrs, have only burned 1 out)
3) Petronix (2-3 years on my 68 vette, went back to points, others have told me the same about boat conversions)
4) MSD (Everyone I know has burned out at least one of these in a few years)

Parts availability (around here)
1) Tbolt (same day, every marina has these)
2) Petronix (just replace the whole thing, same day)
3) MSD (1-3 days, may be at shop but usually ordered)
4) DUI (4-5 days, order, but have been told HEI parts are interchangable)

Cost
1) Petronix (very cheap)
2) DUI
3) Tbolt (depending on dealer markup)
4) MSD (kind of pricy for non-hi performance engines)
Like I said, just my $0.02
Gary
Old 10-05-2003, 08:05 AM
(aka) Pure Adrenaline
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

All the distributer does is act as a trigger to tell the MSD when to fire. You don't need anything special. Take one set of points out of your Accel, because 2 will confuse the box and try and fire it twice. Save it for a spare in the tool box and spend the money on something else, maybe a MSD rev limiter.
If the box goes bad, in the instructions they tell you how to by pass it and your still boating.
The electronic distibuter goes bad your done for a while or at least a couple days, but if the points go out you slap in another set and your running in 10 minutes.