Notices

trs drives

Old 01-17-2002, 03:49 PM
r-boat

Post trs drives

i bought a 79 chris craft excalibur and the left drive is missing.are all trs drives the same?if not how do i tell which one i have?

Old 01-17-2002, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
You need the opposite rotation to the one you have. I'm sure that the counter rotation occurs in the drives, even as early as '79. In fact, I think that was the TRS drives purpose; to get away from the need for reverse rotation engines. Just to double check, make sure that your engines both run the same way; check the firing order on the distributor caps. If as I suspect, the engines run the same, normal way, then remove the drive and spin the input shaft, observing the rotation of the prop. You want to buy a drive that turns the propshaft the other way when you spin the input shaft the same way as above. After you complete all these steps, spin your head around 360 degrees and click your heels in mid air.

Actually somebody else is probably going to tell you that the drives are stamped LH and RH someplace, but I never do anything the easy way.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted in General Disc area that the difference is in the lower unit. It appears the propeller shaft is stamped on the end "RH" for a right hand rotation drive (or lower unit) and "LH" or no marking at all, for a left hand rotation drive (or lower unit). The propeller shaft is not interchangeable between the two, so it should be a reliable method.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:19 PM
r-boat

thanks for the help,should be easy to figure out with what you told me

Old 01-19-2002, 02:21 AM
BigGrizzly

The only difference is in the prop shaft.It has a different placement of the gear either in front or behind the drive gear.

Randy