Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
454-330 build up review >

454-330 build up review

Notices

454-330 build up review

Old 01-02-2004, 09:58 PM
jw454

454-330 build up review

I just found thi post you guys had going at one time and amazed at the different outcomes everyone had. JAY13, you said you had a lousy time with yours. Have you corrected it? Formula31, your choice of cam Edelbrock Torker2 you say works very well. That isnt a far cry from my first choice E. RPM. Formula31, Dyno, Crazyhorse and others have visited 454 Engine build regularly, and have given me great info. I would be curious to hear from anyone who might like to share on this subject. SPEED is key to happiness. JW454.

Old 01-02-2004, 10:08 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

JayL13 does not come over hear much any more. His engine is running but for the money he has in it he probalby could have made 500hp's.

Jon
Old 01-04-2004, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been through this many times, but many new people are interested in doing this mod.

I stayed with the stock cast crank and rods on my 330, but went to ARP rod bolts. The stock rod bolts are the weak link in the lower end. I stayed with 8.5 compression with Zollner hypernutecic pistons. ( A GM engineer involved in one of their major racing programs said he would have stuck the cast pistons back in for the 425-450 HP target we had). The crank was checked for straighness, and the block lined bored. New HD oil pump and complete balance on the recip parts. The first set of heads I used were the stock peanut ports with the larger valves installed and we pocket ported the bowls. I don't care what anyone says, these heads worked very well. I later went to a set of 049 large ovals and they are stronger on the top end. We also put a set of Comp Cam Magnum rollers, and Ultradyne cam (flat tappet)and Wieand duel plane manifold. I retained the q-jet carb but the jury is still out if I should try a 800 CFM Holley. I also used the stock Thunderbolt IV ignition which is just fine, and installed EMI Thunder exhaust with the cast risers. If doing this again, I would go the extra money and get the SS risers for the extra size they provide. Infact, I'm looking for a used set of the SS risers. The engine has got 3 seasons behind it, very reliable, and last time on the dyno did 440HP and spins a 25Mirage about 5100RPM on a 24 Sunsation Rocket. Good Luck on your project.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:59 PM
jw454

Do you have the specs. on that cam that you are using? How is the hole shot? 25 pitch would be a nice prop for me to use. The way stock engine ran I never would have turned it. JW454.

Old 01-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Registered

jw454,
I'm using a Ultrdyne 280degree intake 288exhaust at .050inch. It has .525 lift on intake, .550 exhaust with a 112degree lobe seperation. This is a very conservative cam shaft. It has a good idle, and good low end. I think Kaama, Crazyhorse and Waterfoul are running a TRW cam that is a little hotter with great results also. I'm not sure if Ultradyne is even in business anymore. Somebody on his site may know. They have many good marine camshafts and were great to talk and deal with.

The main thing to remember when you are doing this project is get excellent machine work. Don't compromise the machine work.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:57 PM
Registered

I stand corrected, that may have been Dyno, not Kaama that I mentioned on my last post. Anyway I understand those guys have done some good work on 330's.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Crazyhorse and I built my 330 into about a 425 hp motor with higher compression hypereutectic pistons (about 8.9:1), some mild head work on the Merc Rect. port heads, Merc magnum intake, holley 750, Federal Mogul cam (specs if you want them), and some EMI exhaust manifolds. Also used ARP rod bolts, stock rods, cast crank, and Mellings high volume oil pump. Overall I was very happy with this motor. The torque at low and midrange was a HUGE improvement. I run this motor in a 24 Baja. Speed went from about 56 or 57 with the 330 to about 63-64 with the mods. I am also running Crane HI6 ignition with a billet distributor.

Foul
Old 01-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Here are the cam specs on my motor:

Intake Exhaust
.050 duration 234 244
SAE duration 312 322
Cam lift .325 .340
Value lift .553 .578
lobe centers 107 117

This is a hydraulic flat tappet cam. Numbers taken directly from the cam card. I broke this motor this past summer though it had nothing to do with the mods.... combination of things added up to a really bad day in June.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Registered

Even though the cam card doesn't say it, the lobe sep is 112 degrees.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey foul, I thought you were running the 224/234 this time around???

Quick Reply: 454-330 build up review

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.