Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Rtech fits older style M-3 and M-4 Procharger (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/68461-rtech-fits-older-style-m-3-m-4-procharger.html)

Eternal Warrior 01-12-2004 08:43 AM

Tomcat,

Are you going to develop one of these systems for the 496 with a Procharger?

tomcat 01-12-2004 11:14 AM

I will be doing a system for the 496, as soon as you can put a decent amount of boost into them without the pistons falling apart. I have a great design for that engine using a modified Vortech compressor, but what's the point if you can only run 3.5 psi? I will likely use the design on the HP525EFI before the 496.

Eternal Warrior 01-13-2004 08:23 AM

I thought Procharger's system could run 5 psi on the 496. :confused: Granted that's not a lot of boost, but with your intercooler that should result in a significant horsepower gain. I'll wait patiently for your system. :D

tomcat 01-13-2004 09:44 AM

Procharger sells the system at 3.5 psi. The 5 psi pulley is an option. If I remember correctly Whipple's kit for this engine is set at 4 psi.

I am no expert on this engine. I have heard through the grapevine that if you have a problem with the 5 psi pulley you're on your own. Two sources I trust have flat out told me the engine should not be supercharged, that even when temperatures and fuel ratios look fine, the pistons just won't hold up. I understand that the pistons are hypereutectic (cast) and 9:1 C.R. Nobody has been able to explain the specifics of the failure to me yet.

I agree that the same principles apply and a rough calculation suggests that switching to a Supercooler would deliver 20F cooler air than the Procharger. In other engines this allows us to safely run more boost and make 10-20% more power. On the 496 maybe it might be wiser to leave the boost at 5 psi and let the engine live.

Anyway, I am thinking about the 496, but not ready to move on it yet. Thanks for bringing up the topic and don't hesitate to contact me directly if you want to discuss further.

Tom Robinson
(416) 709-8714

Eternal Warrior 01-13-2004 12:09 PM

I've heard that about the engine. From what I've heard, the 496's are taking longer to properly break-in (40 hrs or more). So blowers are being put on before it is broke in and that has caused the problems. I don't know if that holds any water. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm having the 3.5 psi Procharger put on. The perfomance dealer installing said they've done a few and haven't any problems yet. They've been honest up to this point so. Keep us up to date. I find your projects very interesting.

Mark

tomcat 01-13-2004 12:44 PM

That's an interesting point. If the rings haven't sealed properly and fuel pressures have been raised for the blower, you could have cylinders washing down at low speeds. That could contribute to the piston skirt failures that I have been told about. Good luck with the installation. I will have to think about this some more. When you get the installation done, give me a call. I would like to see it up close.

Eternal Warrior 01-13-2004 04:06 PM

I won't get the boat back until spring, but I'll let you know when I do. Or if you are going to be in the Grand Rapids area shoot me an email ([email protected]). I'm sure you could go take a look at the setup. I think the install is almost done.

Turbojack 01-13-2004 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is pick of trial. TC- When do I get one to keep instead of just play with?

tomcat 01-14-2004 07:40 AM

Jack:

I am machining the Dominator baseplate this week. I will ship the box before I go to L. A. next week. When you get the sides painted that red color it's going to look good.

Tom

dyno 01-14-2004 07:53 AM

TJack that looks great!!! What color is that on your engine???Its Ausome!!