Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How much for this head work?? >

How much for this head work??

Notices

How much for this head work??

Old 01-14-2004, 02:03 PM
bowtie89

Default How much for this head work??

I just bought dennis moore's book and I love it!! As some of you know I am looking for a little more horsepower for my formula 206!! I am going to do some head work and possibly a cam change for this year!! now dennis' book states that if I remove my heads and machine them for larger 2.02" diameter intake valves and larger 1.60" exhaust valves, then port the valve pocket throats. that Ill see at least 20 horsepower with the stock camshaft!! What will a machine shop charge for this and to put the new valves in?? Also any know of any other cheap head tricks!!
oh yeah the motor is a 1989 350 magnum!

Old 01-14-2004, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the time you machine the heads, and port them, get the new stuff, you can probably pick up a set of Sr Torquers or depending on your budget, maybe a set of aluminum heads.

Check out:

www.jegs.com
www.summitracing.com
www.competitionproducts.com

I bout a set of complete canfields (aluminum), all set up for about $1,300

Just a suggestion, you may be ahead of the game this way.

Have Fun
Old 01-14-2004, 03:28 PM
futz991

I've gotta agree with Ratchet. By the time you get done with the machine shop work which will probably cost you between $3-500, plus the price of 16 new valves, you may be better off buying a complete set of heads. I don't know if this change will gain you 20 HP, but its a lot of money for gain that you aren't going to see or feel on the water.

Old 01-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you do anything, pull the heads off, and check them out for rot. If the engine is original from 89, and it's salt water cooled, it's a good bet you don't want to invest any money into them. When I pulled my heads 2 years ago, the water passage holes were so enlarged from corrosion, that it was starting to impinge on the gasket's fire ring. Time for new heads! If you want to go low buck, Carolinas Auto Supply sells heads already setup with 2.02/1.6 valves at around $399 each. They might even be midly pocket ported too. I don't remember. They are so popular, they can't keep them in stock. Check them out on their website. Also, go to the Chevy High Performance Magazine website. They have a couple of tech articles about porting SBC heads. I know a number of people who did not much more than a valve job, and a pocket port to their heads. All had 20 - 24 foot boats. They were all quite happy with the results. It didn't make race boats out of them, but it certainly made them more responsive, and gave them a little something on the top end. You might want to give 1.6 rockers a shot too.

Paul
Old 02-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two words . Iron Eagle

I sold a gen5 motor to make room in my garage years ago and the guy I delivered it to had a 27' Chris Craft (I believe a stinger) with twin 350's and the Dart Iron heads. He took me for a hairy, scary ride! I couldn't believe how sick this boat was, it was starting to chinewalk!. I may be mistaken but, these heads were about $800 a pair. Very impressed BBB