Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle >

Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle

Notices

Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle

Old 01-31-2004, 09:03 AM
force 320

So there I was., On a cold winter day, actually it was about 15 deg. and I just had to test out the new engines, (Newbe to twin boat), and during brake in I noticed a slight vibration at high drive trim, so after going back to this web site and reading all of the vast experience, I'm thinking engine alignment, so I ordered the tool. So how close are we talking here 1/8 in. 1/64. Thanks for all the input
Attached Thumbnails Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle-boat-5.jpg  

Old 01-31-2004, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um, you may be on the wrong thread here, Force. But, when properly aligned the tool should slide through the gimble bearing in and out of the coupler using a two finger grip. And yes, you will probably be able to feel a 1/64 to 1/32 difference. But a vibration is more likely to be a result of gimble bearing or U-joint problems than alignment. --- Jer
Old 01-31-2004, 10:00 AM
force 320

Wrong Thread Jer?, I started this thread 11 days ago looking for a simple question and it just grew from a HP question to cyro to clutches and relief pressure springs ( white I think) ,Bravo VS TRS. and so on. I'm sorry, I should have started a new thread when It got off track. Ill remember next time. Thank you any way for the tips.Just trying to continue the learning curve here.

Old 01-31-2004, 11:01 AM
Registered

O.K. I'm with ya now. So these are TRS's that you are aligning. That's a little different cause the gimble bearing is REALLY a tailstock bearing and is always in proper alignment with the tranny. You use that big disc that you need to order in addition to the alignment shaft in order to do a TRS. Follow the instructions that come with the tool (I hope) or get with someone who has an old manual for proper procedure. I could help you there but I will be off-line and on the road for about 6 weeks starting Thurs. next. CAREFULLY INSPECT your U-joint assmb. I had a slight vibration this summer and KAPOW! I exploded the outdrive bell housing and outer transom mount. I had lost a bearing cup retainer clip. You definitely do NOT want to do that. Cost many $$$ and hours. Just lucky I can do my own wrenching. Good luck! --- Jer

Last edited by jpclear; 02-01-2004 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:04 AM
Registered

I have had luck with up to 625, nothing over that. If you are going over I would go to 3's or 5's
Old 01-31-2004, 06:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, are the rules that tight here, no discussion that wasn't initiated by the thread starter?? Since when does a "simple" question involving boats have a simple answer?? To me the exchange of information is priceless......................
Old 01-31-2004, 08:38 PM
force 320

Are we having fun yet!

Where the F*&% is that Summer Sun anyway?

Old 02-01-2004, 09:18 AM
Registered

I don't know but I've got over 5 feet of snow on my deck and a foot of ice on the lake I'm gonna get in the camper/van and drive south till I can stand on a beach in shorts, tank top, and bare feet and see water that has ripples on it.

And I wasn't trying to impose any rules. I just thought that perhaps the thread on engine alignments and alignment tools that was up a short while back might have gotten some better response than one on H.P. and TRS drives, thats all. There's lots of smart guys out there that won't even bother to read a thread on TRS's. I do cause I still run one. --- Jer

Last edited by jpclear; 02-01-2004 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:12 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm gonna get in the camper/van and drive south till I can stand on a beach in shorts, tank top, and bare feet and see water that has ripples on it.

I think you should look for water that has "nipples" on it, in it or in the general vicinity of it.
Now, we're really off topic!

Last edited by RLW; 02-01-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhhh...... now we're talkin'. I really feel for you guys "up north". My season here is short enouph, but you guys get it bad!! We're still payin for that non-existant winter of 2001-2002........

Quick Reply: Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.