Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle >

Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle

Notices

Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle

Old 02-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Russ, glad you edited out that spelling error. I always knew that you could tell the difference between getting "of" and getting "off". --- Jer
Old 02-01-2004, 02:59 PM
force 320

TRS......oldie but goodie. If it was junk I guess it would of faded away a long time ago. but there must be a lot of them still around. ( good poll subject ), I'm just a blue collar mechanic trying to make a living and have fun at the same time. So I am starting out at the bottom with an older boat. But its got some nice lines like my 70 Olds 442 ram air, (classic) So I hope they built these drives back in the day like a 70s era muscle car not some bubble looking 4 cycl. plastic piece of crap import.time will tell. Thanks for all the help all. More questions will follow I'm sure.

Old 02-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Registered

Force, we ARE on the same page!! I only have this knowledge cause I'm old and have screwed-up so much. Problem is; I'm SO old that I've started forgetting the screw-ups and am starting to repeat them. Hell, I even got married a second time. --- Jer
Old 02-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Awesome35

Default puking trans fluid

I have a 1976 Cigarette Awesome with twin 450's ,Borg Warner trans & TRS drives. Sometimes usually when in a crowded cove & I have to use forward & revere alot at idle mostly,the trans will both force most of their fluid out of the vents.Dont know if its boiling it or what,has anyone heard of this? I am new to this boat. I read somewhere that you should use either Cat or Allison trans fluid?

Old 02-02-2004, 09:41 AM
force 320

I know if you overfill an automotive trans the drums will run in the oil causing aeration and foaming causing the problem you mentioned. I haven't Ben in my Borg warner (YET), plan on going to graphite clutches, I'm hearing they are only good for 400hp.

Screw ups? thats the best teacher there is, especially the expensive ones.

Old 02-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Awesome35

Thanks force, but I am sure they are at the right level,it almost seems like an overheating issue?

Old 02-03-2004, 09:41 AM
force 320

Contact Marc at BAM. they are the experts.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Registered

Originally posted by force 320
Contact Marc at BAM. they are the experts.
Yep, What he said!! --- Jer
Old 02-03-2004, 09:44 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

We use ford spec, F or FA. The puking was a major problem with the older transmissions, in fact there was a kit made to dump the fluid back in the dipstick hole (I do have a couple but it is a bandaid fix only). The real problem is a flaw in the casting, no windage shield in the early units and bad control of the oil flow.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

There was a member here on OSO known as "Doctor Dave" who had a 35' Cig Awesome which is a pretty HEAVY boat with a pair of 565" engines with 8-71 blowers that were dyno'd at about 800hp each. These engines were connected to the TRS drives that he had on his Cig.

Dave maintained his own engines and drives and I have watched him over the years with this combination as he did his boating out of St. Joseph, MI out on Lake Michigan. He also would set up his TRS drives himself i.e. pre-load, shimming, rolling torque, etc. He has told me that he sets up his drives on the tighter side and his TRS drives would survive as long as he would run a Bravo 4-bladed prop no larger than 28". He blew his drives once with a 30" bravo 4-bladed prop. So from there he has stuck with 28" 4-bladed props and hasn't had any problems. A 30" or larger 4-blade prop on a lighter boat might survive with that kind of power as weight, power output, etc are some of the important variables that you must consider in the equation when it comes to how much a TRS drive can take.

After about 20 years of boating, I have heard that Dave is getting out of the boating sport and has just put his boat up for sale this past year. I never see Dave here on OSO anymore, but I'm sure he'd be glad to tell you about his experiences with the TRS drives with big power.

Last edited by KAAMA; 02-04-2004 at 12:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Ok, how much HP can a TRS drive handle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.