Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Condensation at the valve covers >

Condensation at the valve covers

Notices

Condensation at the valve covers

Old 02-23-2004, 08:02 PM
racinbird

Default Condensation at the valve covers

I have a built genVI 502 block, merlin heads, lightining magnum water jacketed headers with a cross over cooling system. I bought this boat early last year and had to redue the cylinder heads to marine quality, ie Manley intake valves, Inconel exhaust valves, and a good valve job.
It has a mild cam, maybe around 425-450 horse so I dought reversion is a problem, I have no real cam spec though.

I get a decent amount of condensation, sometimes brown-milky color, but nornmally just water at the breathers. I can take the breather out and shake it, ill get a dribble of water to come out, not too excessive though. I have never had any problems with oil in the pan, I have never seen milky color on dip stick or anywhere other than breather valve covers.

NOTE: I had this same amount of condensation before and after the cylinder head job, there was no sign of rust on the valve train by any means.

So anyway, how much condensation is normal? If I remember correctly my oil gauge will reach around 210-225 degrees and water temp is around 165. Should I be worried, anything to look into, check pressure on the cooling system, or is this somewhat normal? You guys seem to know your stuff on this board, Always have been helpful. Thanks

Old 02-23-2004, 09:22 PM
force 320

one byproduct of combustion is water in the form of invisable steam at the exhaust. a verry small amount dose make its way past the rings and ends up in the oil.
so you do want the oil to reach waters boiling point of(212 deg. @ sae conditions) to re vaporise it so it can be evacuated through the pvc. so I dont see why you are seeing this unless you do a lot of short runs and no prolonged run times at youre oil temps. also do you have a proporly operating PCV valve with adequite vacume to it

Old 02-23-2004, 09:37 PM
racinbird

No actually it does not have a PCV system setup on it right now, didnt have one when I bought it, didnt think of it.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well... if it just has breathers... it is natural that you will find a little condensation in your valve covers and breather tube... if your oil tempurature is getting up over 212 degrees... you shouldn't be seeing much... are you talking " a couple of tablespoons of water" ... or much more?
Old 02-23-2004, 09:57 PM
racinbird

maybe just a tablespoon worth, sometimes worse thans others, im on a smaller lake so there more short runs and idling

Old 02-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like just some condensation.... pretty common under the conditions you described... short runs.. oil not getting hot enough to boil off the moisture.. if you don't see any rust on the valve components.. and not milky oil in the pan... I'd just make sure to change the oil before you put the boat away for a long time... good luck.