Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Chriscraft STINGER???? >

Chriscraft STINGER????

Notices

Chriscraft STINGER????

Old 02-26-2004, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing the final rigging on the mills now. Little bilge work to do then back in they go. Make sure you speak up if you need assistance, I'z reel smartz wen it cums to injins....

Sorry for the side track killahair

BT
Old 02-26-2004, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

injins I have to remember that one.

Sorry killahair, back to the Stingers!
Old 02-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one of these?
Attached Thumbnails Chriscraft STINGER????-miam-vice-small.jpg  
Old 02-28-2004, 03:41 PM
stingraysal

Thumbs up chriscraft stingers

I've got a red 312 fittipaldi stinger and found it to be a great ride.gets on plane instantly and takes 3' chop w/o splilling a drink. hull seems to be very well built and shows no signs of stringer problems,deck has a few gel cracks due to a bit of flex but I think this boat was driven hard before I bought it.
I got some help from talking to the Chriscraft museum, got to talk with one of the engineers that built my boat.I'll see if I can find the addess
Sal

Old 02-29-2004, 09:01 AM
killahair

Yeah any real info I can get - I heard the old stingers had hull problems so those stories are scaring me - how do I check stringers and all when I go look at this old beast - Its quite a monster - I just went from a 29 foot and the 39 is a little daunting but as you all know bigger better- - perhaps get a survey? Boat is on trailer so I guess I can check out hull but where abouts do I check and How for Stringers?

Old 02-29-2004, 09:04 AM
killahair

Hey REDDOG - are you the one with the 38 old Scarab for sale in Ohio I called about that is re-rigged but no engines on trailer? If so If stinger sucks can I pop over to see that one?
Thanks

Old 02-29-2004, 10:08 PM
jhogg

i own a 39 chris craft stinger
it is a great boat however it is not going to keep up with joe money
i take mine out in the gulf in 5 ft seas with no problem call me anytime with questions as i have completly redone the one i own and may have some helpful tips
chris 281 723 5927

Old 03-01-2004, 08:10 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by killahair
Hey REDDOG - are you the one with the 38 old Scarab for sale in Ohio I called about that is re-rigged but no engines on trailer? If so If stinger sucks can I pop over to see that one?
Thanks
Killahair,
The Scarab is owned by Badgirl (his wifes user name) Ken is in Florida this week so I will answer for him, Yes the boat is still for sale and I know for fact that his boat has been re-worked and probably in better condition than some of the Scarab and Stingers of that era.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:17 PM
tim markling

I worked at two different Chris Craft dealers in Sarasota Fl., as a mechanic/rigger. I have had alot of expierance with the Scorpion/Stinger sportboats. I have seen and partook in some severe beatings for hours in the gulf that would split about any hull, and the Chris was like new. I have also tested brand new ones that felt spongy, but don't know what happened to those hulls.
Those hulls were as good as any back then, you get what you pay for.
Have the hull checked, go from there.

Old 03-16-2004, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Killahair,

I bought a 260 stinger over the winter. Before I did, I contacted Chris Craft, BoatUS, and the Coasties.
All three were great about searching databases for anything noteworthy about these boats.

One 31 footer did "open up" as another poster mentioned. Also, they had some problems with the gas tank install on some 22 foot scorpions. (Which was a recall)

I would be happy to forward all the info I have, including from the VP at CC. He gave me the home phone number for Bob Kollotie, who was the hull engineer at the time mine was built (1987).

BoatUS had nothing noteworthy in their consumer protection files regarding 260 stingers. Coast Guard had no incidences (except that 31 footer), and Chris Craft defended those hulls strongly.

I did find out that the glass crew from that era did screw up some Amerosport models by cutting where they shouldn't have cut for plumbing. Story is that they really focused on quality with the Stingers, because it was their "baby" at the time.

I won't preach survey, survey, survey... cause I know you know.

I checked the e mail notification box below, so if you reply, and want more info, I will get back with you.

I would be interested to know if you bought it.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Chriscraft STINGER????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.