Chriscraft STINGER???? >

Chriscraft STINGER????

Notices

Chriscraft STINGER????

Old 03-22-2004, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fund Razor,

Think the OMC/Merc wiring would be different...Actually looking for the boat wireing...Lights, Blowers, etc.

Curious, what does your 260 top out at w / the OMC's. Mine only gets to the mid-high 50's on a good day on the GPS. Thinking my 5.7's are getting tired.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:44 PM
Registered

Island Time,

I'll see what I've got as far as boat wiring goes. I know I've got a schematic for mine. Still haven't checked the book against my merc 260. (Even if the colors are different, I don't think the actual circuits would be) a conversion might be possible if it's all you've got to work from, you'd probably check each circuit as you go, anyway, so it might save you time in trial and error.
Otherwise I guess all you have is a multitester with one really, really long lead.

Since I bought the boat last Dec, I haven't launched it yet. I've only run them on earmuffs. From everyone that I've talked to, 55-60 top speed on a GPS would be about right if everything is in order and it's propped out right.
The guy that I bought mine from claimed 55-60 too.

You can hop them up and get closer to 70, but I don't think that I'm going to. I was looking for weight (lots of it) and high freeboard. 70 mph won't help me in Lake Erie if the hull design won't handle big water. I bought it to do a 40-45 cruise without revving to the top. The only thing that I am sure I will do is change from points to solid state with MBI. Other than that, I'm not going to hype the motors up unless I lose one. If I lose one, I'll probably pull both and put new remans back in with cam/lifter/manifold upgrades. I have the log style exhaust manifolds on these OMCs, which I hate.
Plus I would switch to aluminum intakes.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:27 AM
Registered

Fund Razor,

Would be interrested in a copy of your schematics...Where did you find them. Have already spent a lot of time tracing w the multitester.

BTW...If you run @ 40, be happy to know I can cruise all day w/o stopping for gas every few hours. I was really supprised w the gas mileage on the boat as it burns about the same as my 19'CC w a 150 Evinrude. We made it from St Pete to Marathon in the Keys on 1 tank last year.

Would lilke to do the aluminum intakes too but the salt water here would tear them up w/o fresh water cooling. Wondering, do you know what props and gears you have on the OMC's. My RPM's are to low @ WOT and I may need to re-prop.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:55 AM
Registered

Island Time,

when I get home from work I'll make a copy of the schematic. I'll see if I can scan it without losing the detail. I got it from the previous owner. I think he found it online.

I'll check the props and ratio too. I have the props in their cases at my house, and my outdrive specs are there too. The guy that I bought it from said that he tried different props all last summer, and the ones he sent with the boat are the best he found all year on the "try it but don't bend it" plan.

Besides propping right, I picked up a few hundred rpms at WOT on my merc260 when I switched from points to the Mallory Unilite marine MBI ignition. Plus, I switched to SS prop from aluminum. (I think the aluminum was flexing a little at WOT) Those two things got me from 4200 to 4600.

Thanks for the news on the fuel economy. I was wondering about that. I'm sure that I'll see what my WOT is once in a while, but if I'm gonna be out all day, I'm just looking for a comfortable 40.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Registered

Island Time,

I did check the book last night. Great schematic from helm to engines, and mechanicals. No luck with a schematic for accesories. Sorry.

Couldn't find the drive gear ratio, I want to say that it's the same as an Alpha, but I could be wrong.

The props are Rapture SS three blade 14.25 by 21 pitch.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Registered

Fund Razor,

I'm running 21 Mirage on mine. Let me know when you run it, I'dd be curious to see what your RPM's end up at.

Thanks for checking on the acc schematics...I called CC last year and they said all the records dissappeared when OMC shut down. The guy even said he remembered where the files were.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:22 PM
Registered

That's a bummer about OMC and the files.
You would think that somebody from OMC would discover e bay, and all that stuff would be out.
(hint, hint, you know who you are. You do searches to see where "OMC" pops up. OMC, OMC,OMC)
We'll see if that works.

I know that the little panel with the boat drawing and a light for each light on the boat adds a twist to the acc circuits, but I'm surprised that tracing that stuff down has given you so much grief.
I guess I got lucky that my acc wiring wasn't modified beyond all recognition.

I was almost positive that I had an acc schematic. I know that I didn't have one for my wellcraft. Now I wonder if I left it with the previous owner.

Sorry that I didn't come through for ya.

I'll let you know what mine does when I launch it.
You might check with Glassdave on this board about what his 260 does. I PM'd him a question and he was cool to me.
I asked him about cruising fuel economy with his 260, but you beat him to it.
It was nice to hear something positive about the boat. I'm finding a lot of "stinger bashers." So far I really like mine. I've done a lot of restoration on other boats, so I have a pretty good sense of the difference between solid and compromised construction. I've surveyed this boat pretty deep since December. The deeper I dig, the more it seems like a solid machine. Truth will be told on Lake Erie the day I get caught between a northeast wind off the lake and pop up fast moving storms off the land from the southwest. Nice lake turns real mean, real quick. This thing keeps making me think STURDY. Maybe I got the good one? I can't see what to bash. It's nice looking, too. (I posted a pic earlier in the thread. White boat.)

Last edited by fund razor; 03-24-2004 at 03:00 PM.