Oil Temp sender unit location?

Notices

Oil Temp sender unit location?

Old 01-31-2002, 05:32 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Iggy, I see what you are saying.
I was only considering the temperature aspect of this topic, didn't consider filtering. But I will admit I find it hard to believe the cooler can cool the oil that much. Been wrong before, but won't admit it. Hopefully someone that actually has a gauge before and after the cooler will chime in here.
So the only thing really effected by this is whether or not oil will be fully filtered, but it will have no effect on oil temp. So it would go w/o saying that our oil pressure will most likely always be whatever the pressure relief valve is in the pump since the bypass valve can not flow all oil at full volume. Apparently mine is reversed also. Thanks.
Jerry
Old 01-31-2002, 09:01 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
US FOUNTAIN IF YOU ARE RUNNING HARD LIKE I DO. YOU WANT TO KNOW OIL TEMP OF MOTOR.NOT WHAT TEMP IS GOING TO MOTOR FROM COOLER.THAT DOES NOT TELL YOU WHAT THE MOTOR TEMP REALY IS.ALL TEMP GAUGES ARE TO BE MOUNTED IN THE BEST & CLOSEST POSITION TO ACTUAL ENGINE RUNNING TEMP.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:46 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know the pros/cons of mounting the sender on the oil pan rail on a GenVI 502? There are two 3/8" threaded holes there, but I'm not sure if they would measure the oil before or after the cooler. I'm trying to get the sender off my remote oil filter adaptor for aesthetic reasons...
Old 02-01-2002, 04:29 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Cig, the rail locations are after the cooler/filter.

Jerry

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: US1 Fountain ]
Old 02-01-2002, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Jerry - I have my oil temp sender in this location on Gen VI block, and it barely gets above 180F. I want to move it to a better location.

Looking at my Scoggin-Dickey Tech sheet on Gen VI oiling systems, I see that it says the 3/8" hole located just above the filter pad is the oil return. This makes sense because its right in line with the oil return passage from the filter (or adapter). The high pressure line from the oil pump enters the filter (or adapter) off center, so if you want the temperature right out of the pump you need to drill a hole in the adaptor on the filter pad. I think there may even be a boss provided, I can't remember.

One of my engines is on a stand in my friend's shop. When I get a chance next week I'll look at it and get back to you.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:07 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

THE ONLY REAL PLACE TO PUT OIL TEMP SENDER IS IN PAN.THAT IS OIL TEMP!
Old 02-01-2002, 08:11 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

tomcat,
you are absolutley right. Luckily, (or is that unfortunately?) my motor is sitting in my garage on the stand, so I was able to reaffirm the side fitting path. After cooler. So all 3 of these ports are cooled oil. This does only apply when using a remote filter. My adapter does also have a flat area on the pump side if one

TAZ,
It would appear a temp sending unit on the remote filter will also read the same temps pan temp, correct? Minus the degree or so from what is lost in the cooling of the lines themselves. Might be pushing the envelope a little bit here.
My temp unit is also in one of the rail fittings. Gauge never moves off 140, even after long hard runs. No wonder why I am having to replace my brand new $700 cam and lifters with only 40 hrs.

SO CHARLES.........leave your sending unit where it is, but switch those lines around and get that cooler after your filter. You can let me know results after you try it out this weekend!

Thanks guys

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: US1 Fountain ]
Old 02-01-2002, 08:25 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

US1 CORRECT
Old 02-02-2002, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So... does that mean that on a Mk4 block, that the 2 holes on the block where the oil psi and oil psi buzzer are is cooled oil or non cooled oil?Or is one cooled and one not cooled.
Old 02-02-2002, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry 27FOUNTAIN, we kind of forgot your original question. I don't have Mark IV blocks anymore, and I don't remember, but the Mercury Service Manual #3 for Hi Perf V8s shows the general layout of the Mark IV oiling system, and all three adapters for early Mark IV, late Mark IV and Gen V/VI. It looks to me like any hole in the block that you could have a sender is going to be cooled oil. The only place to get the hot oil right after the pump is in the adapter. The early Mark IV adapter is shown with a threaded hole for the sender. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Oil Temp sender unit location?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.