Oil Temp sender unit location? >

Oil Temp sender unit location?

Notices

Oil Temp sender unit location?

Old 01-30-2002, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil Temp sender unit location?

Where is the best place to measure using stock holes in a mark IV 502. Currently it's in the remote oil filter adapter which the way I see it, is measuring temp after the cooler.I'm seeing very little oil temp, and thinking I need to move it. Would switching the oil temp and oil pressure buzzer sender work? Thanks in advance, Charles
Old 01-30-2002, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

We have twin 540cu blocks and we measure of the engine and still don't get a reading have to love the big oil coolers. two places same reading.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

We have twin 540cu blocks and we measure of the engine and still don't get a reading have to love the big oil coolers. two places same reading.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:33 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THE PATH OIL SHOULD TAKE IS FROM ENGINE TO OIL FILTER TO COOLER BACK TO ENGINE.SO FOLLOW OIL LINES.WHERE OIL COMES INTO FILTER BLOCK THAT IS THE SIDE OFFILTER BLOCK TEMP SENDING UNIT SHOULD BE SCREWED INTO.THAT TELLS YOU OIL TEMP COMMING OUT OF ENGINE.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:56 PM
Registered

I may have something reversed, my oil goes from block to oil cooler then to oil filter and back to block. I'm seeing arrows on the oil filter mount and the oil filter adapter on the block indicating oil flow direction.Maybe that's why the oil temp unit was on my oil filter mount? Any other thoughts?
Old 01-30-2002, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

it goes to filter then cooler not cooler to filter
Old 01-30-2002, 10:50 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What diffence does that really make? Filter> cooler or cooler>filter. Ain't going to change the temp of oil going back into the block with either flow direction. Just the temp of oil being filtered.

The only consern here is that with the temp sending unit in the remote filter unit is: (and sorry TAZ, but the temp will be the same on either the inlet or outlet side of the filter unit within a couple of degrees or so. Not nit picking But we know what you meant)

a)cooler>filter= temp reading of oil going back into motor. Colder reading
b)filter>cooler= temp reading of oil coming out of motor. warmer reading

Charles, see I really got you thinking now. I just double checked my flow path. Same way as yours. Since we both are measuring after cooler oil temps (just at different locations) that is why neither one of has any oil temp readings. Now if you were to either switch your flow path or as you mentioned switch sending unit locations, as long as the alarm is in the pump-to-filter path, you will then read oil pan temp. Not sure how the MK4 remote adapter is.

Just depends on whether we want to know the temp of oil after the cycle, or before. Ask several people and will get pros and cons for both methods. Better yet, install a second gauge for a comparison. That's what I'm going to do just for added peice of mind, plus I can do it right on the filter/t-stat housing. If you try anything, let me know the results since you know whats up.
Thanks,
Jerry

BTW, flow comes out of motor in the off center location, and back into motor in the center location.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: US1 Fountain ]
Old 01-31-2002, 10:24 AM
Registered

Best place to check oil temp is the oil pan. Doug
Old 01-31-2002, 11:31 AM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

I was going to install the sending unit in the oil pan by welding a bung into the pan to accept the sending unit. Since the motor was completely assembled including the oil pan, the builder was apprehensive on performing this task. We decided to monitor the oil temp via another oultet that was pluged adjacent to the oil pressure sending unit. It is a Mark IV block.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
US1 Fountain,
If you mount the oil cooler before the filter the oil will be too cool and thick to pass through the filter element causing it's internal bypass valve to open and allow unfiltered oil to circulate back into the engine.
You never put an oil cooler before the filter, always after.
You're right about the twin gages. I'd mount one before and after the cooler to monitor performance.

Quick Reply: Oil Temp sender unit location?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.