Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Saltwater Flush .... >

Saltwater Flush ....

Notices

Saltwater Flush ....

Old 03-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Ric232

Originally posted by macvtt
when I flush with the MST the water also exits out the drive.
Yes, it exits out of the exhaust water holes on the lower part of the transom assembly (on both sides). But I don't think the water runs from the seawater pump down through the water intake on the lower unit.

Old 03-26-2004, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it really depends the the engines. Mine, twins, don't have t-stats and I also have crossovers. I put a Tee on the inlet of the sea water pump and one at the outlet, both positioned very close to the pump. The hoses come up to ball valves that are Teed together that run to a single hose connection. Turn on the hose, open the first valve and it back flushes the strainer. Open the second and it flushes the motor, the to the 3d and 4th for the other motor. Also use Salt Away. I'm able to flush without starting the motors and that keeps the neighbors happy.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd like to know what is in salt away also. I thought it may be some type of acid, which is really bad if you have Aluminum heads, intakes and manifolds.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Ric232

Originally posted by mr_velocity
I guess it really depends the the engines. Mine, twins, don't have t-stats and I also have crossovers. I put a Tee on the inlet of the sea water pump and one at the outlet, both positioned very close to the pump. The hoses come up to ball valves that are Teed together that run to a single hose connection. Turn on the hose, open the first valve and it back flushes the strainer. Open the second and it flushes the motor, the to the 3d and 4th for the other motor. Also use Salt Away. I'm able to flush without starting the motors and that keeps the neighbors happy.
Hey, that's kinda cool.

Old 03-27-2004, 09:05 AM
Registered

If anyone is interested I have a brand new mst guardian flush kit available for sale...I never used it...I have a volvo engine with all steel lines and my mechanic was against cutting into the lines...it was in the classifieds for a while but hasn't sold yet...send me a pm if anyone is interested...I will give all the details...
Old 03-27-2004, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Panther
I'd like to know what is in salt away also. I thought it may be some type of acid, which is really bad if you have Aluminum heads, intakes and manifolds.
It's not corrosive so don't worry about your aluminum.

I'm going to go grab a big jar of nasty LIS saltwater and start some experiments. I think what I'll do is leave some nails in saltwater for an hour and then agitate them in different 2 oz. rinsing solutions for thirty seconds. After that I'll stand them up on a shelf and let them sit for 48 hrs and see what happens.

So far I'm thinking of using the following for rinses:
Salt Terminator (I don't have any Salt Away left)
Tap water
Bleach and water
And a couple of different soap and water solutions

If anyone has any other solutions to recommend, please let me know and I'll try throwing them into the experiment as well.

SS
Old 03-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Registered

Originally posted by craig223
Do you then flush the salt away out or leave it in the engine until the next time out?
Sorry I have been off the boards since last week....I leave the Salt Away in the motors like others have stated.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:25 PM
Ric232

Originally posted by SS930

If anyone has any other solutions to recommend, please let me know and I'll try throwing them into the experiment as well.

SS
How about non-toxic anti-freeze? Has to be cheaper than Salt Away.

Old 03-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Danny_Ocean

Last edited by Danny_Ocean; 01-09-2009 at 10:23 PM.

Old 03-28-2004, 06:23 PM
Registered

What do you think of putting a closed cooling system on? It is kind of expensive at first but then you don't have all these flushing problems after every use. The engine itself will stay salt free, all you would have to worry about is risers.

Quick Reply: Saltwater Flush ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.