Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Saltwater Flush .... >

Saltwater Flush ....

Notices

Saltwater Flush ....

Old 03-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Ric232

Originally posted by alter ego
What do you think of putting a closed cooling system on? It is kind of expensive at first but then you don't have all these flushing problems after every use. The engine itself will stay salt free, all you would have to worry about is risers.
You still have to flush the heat exchanger.

Old 03-29-2004, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Panther
I'd like to know what is in salt away also. I thought it may be some type of acid, which is really bad if you have Aluminum heads, intakes and manifolds.
It's not acid, it's soap of some sort. Probably just overpriced dish soap but it does work. Usually on Saturday afternoon if I know I'm going to use the boat on Sunday I just spay the whole boat down with the stuff and rinse it off. Also spray the drives down with it.

Not sure if nontoxic antifreeze will be cheaper in the long run. I use about 3 oz to flush both motors and spray the drives down.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Ric232

Antifreeze is about $8 per gallon. Salt Away is $33. Still, I don't know if antifreeze (non-toxic) will do the trick.

Old 03-29-2004, 12:38 PM
Registered

Salt - Away seems expensive, but I don't mind paying $30 once or twice a season to use it. It's not that much money compared to the other costs of the boat.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:02 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Ric232
Antifreeze is about $8 per gallon. Salt Away is $33. Still, I don't know if antifreeze (non-toxic) will do the trick.
But what will you do with the antifreeze? With the salt away I use about 3 ounces in their dispenser. Would you do with same with anti freeze? Does anti freeze also neutralize the salt? If you believe what salt away claims to do.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:47 PM
Ric232

Originally posted by mr_velocity
But what will you do with the antifreeze? With the salt away I use about 3 ounces in their dispenser. Would you do with same with anti freeze? Does anti freeze also neutralize the salt? If you believe what salt away claims to do.
You use the same dispenser. If someone doesn't already have one, they can get one at the local garden center. I don't know if the anti-freeze neutralizes the salt. That's the whole purpose of this thread. We're speculating and someone has offered to test the theories.

The other thing I'm unsure of is whether it's really safe to let non-toxic antifreeze drain out of the motor w/o collecting it. Yes, it's non-toxic, but it's probably not biodegradable or safe enough to let it go down the storm drain. I honestly don't know. And I'm a big proponent of disposing of things properly and using the most environmentally-friendly alternative available, assuming it is effective.

Last edited by Ric232; 03-29-2004 at 06:56 PM.