Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
oil temp sender location ? >

oil temp sender location ?

Notices

oil temp sender location ?

Old 03-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe Reed knows how many GPM an oil system flows. I had asked that question several times before and never really got an answer. Yes there are variables but are we talking 10 GPM at 5250 or 20 or what? Don't really need to know, just curious.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know either to be exact... but I can get the figures for an external system like what is made by Aviad. They are near me... I can call... The variables are bearing clearance. tappet type. cam bearing clearance. then... you have to factor in how much flow is lost because of restriction through external hoses. Plus you have to figure what the pump was originally designed to flow.. how much is going through the bypass. how thick the oil is and at what temp... Melling makes a "high flow" pump... but you can't flow any more oil than the passages will allow... Plus... the clearances don't ever change... but the flow increases with rpm's.. so at one point... there is probably as much oil coming out of the bypass back into the pan as there is going to the bearings.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:16 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a sender in the stock location, at the pad, and then another on the oil t-stat housing. That way I could measure temps both before and after the cooler. I also had a switch under the dash that would switch between the two senders, yet use the same oil temp dash gauge.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:56 AM
ursus

Originally posted by Reed Jensen
If you are starting to run lean... you will see the temp rise in the pan... you won't see it in the filter pad.... or after the cooler.
My question to the folks who say the temp at the pad doesn't spike or as some will tell you it can be 10 degrees cooler than the pan is;

Why do you need an oil cooler then cause ,seems 2 feet of oil line is enuff to drop the temp the 10 degrees on its way to the pad and so the 2 deet back from the cooler would then drop it another 10 degrees, whala 20 degree temp drop no oil cooler needed so just get rid of your coooler it is apearantly doing nothing.

I have never seen any credible evidence that the oil temp at the pad is signifigantly different then the pan. It does spike and follow the temp in the pan, simple laws of physics if the temp in the pan spikes 5 degrees the temp after it comes out of the pan thru 2 feet of oil line will also spike 5 degrees.