Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Need Carb advice >

Need Carb advice

Notices

Need Carb advice

Old 04-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Without a doubt if you give Dean your specs you will get a good running carb. When I put a B&M 250 on my 502 I had him put everything that I would need in a box, head gaskets, cam, lifters, rockers etc. Sent him my carb and they all passed each other in shipping. Put my engine together, hooked up the fuel and set the idle. That was it. Perfect plugs all across the range. Money well spent. Yes you could probably fiddle fart around and get it right. I had done that in the past and 72 plugs later it was OK but the money spent was worth it.

Tim T.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Kidnova
Nope. Not summer here....sucks. What mods did you do? Still have the Nova?
Ya still have the Nova. It is cheapest to keep it but I would sell it to the right person that really wanted it.
Well I did CAM, full port and polish 502 heads, intake, carb, and exhaust to my 330 hp motor.
Rag's
Attached Thumbnails Need Carb advice-motordone3.jpg  
Old 04-10-2004, 11:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice, Rags! That ought to give the Nova a little more attitude
Old 04-11-2004, 12:03 AM
Registered

Originally posted by BadDog
Without a doubt if you give Dean your specs you will get a good running carb. When I put a B&M 250 on my 502 I had him put everything that I would need in a box, head gaskets, cam, lifters, rockers etc. Sent him my carb and they all passed each other in shipping. Put my engine together, hooked up the fuel and set the idle. That was it. Perfect plugs all across the range. Money well spent. Yes you could probably fiddle fart around and get it right. I had done that in the past and 72 plugs later it was OK but the money spent was worth it.

Tim T.

Thanks for the input BadDog. I just might go that route. Life {and boating season} is too short to be messing around.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:22 PM
Registered

Wouldn't it be easier to forget "J" tubes and just run a hose from vent to vent with a hole carved in the top of the hose secured by the air cleaner stud? That will eliminate a neg pressure in the pri/sec bowls.

Roby
Old 04-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Registered

Just putting "J" tubes in the carburetor does not make it USCG legal. There are changes that need to be made to the throttle shafts. As far as the tuning goes, it's not just a jet change. Since the pressure will be different in the float bowls then what the carburetor was designed to work with the Air bleeds, and in some cases the emulsion circuitry needs to be changed to get the proper amount of fuel to the engine at wide open throttle.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Registered

Looks like I'll be giving Nickerson a call this week.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just buy the 800 Holley Merc uses should be some used ones around if you look put in a halon to be safe.Car carbs tend to be a little lean at midrange in boats. What cam are you using you may have reverson issues with the one that comes in that eng.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Registered

Boxed up the carb and shipped it to Nickersons today.

BadDog, when they sent your carb back, did they include anything indicating what they did to it?

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Bill
Old 04-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Lsky5101982

Buy fuel injection.... its easier than f*cking around with carbs

Quick Reply: Need Carb advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.