Overheating 502 Magnum MPI

Notices

Overheating 502 Magnum MPI

Old 04-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating 502 Magnum MPI

Hello Gentlemen,

Looks like you have a nice forum hear. I have a quick question before I really throw myself into this problem. I just bought a 1999 27' Fountain Fever I. Took it out for a spin yesterday, everything was great except for a squealing belt. Today, I tightened up the belt (alternator) and used the hose intake to start the engine and make sure the belt wasn't squealing any more. Ran it for about 5 minutes at idle and occasinaly opening the throttle to about 2500 to test for the squeal. Everything was normal. Closed the intake for the hose reopened the intake from the drive and decided to go for a short spin. I had to trailer to the public ramp which was at low tide. Put the boat in the water and away I went. After 3 mintues the water temp light lit and I noticed that there was no pressure. Headed for the nearest dock and hooked up the hose again to bring the temp down (about 220 or so). So it seems that the temp is fine (and pressure) using the hose bout there doesn't seem to be any water coming in from the drive. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I should look for trouble ? Also, should I be concerned about blowing a head gasket ? Checked for oil in the exhaust and water in the oil, but everything looked clean. Any help would be really appreciated. I'm a little put out right now with all this seeing as it is only the second time I have taken the boat out.

Thanks,

Al
Old 04-18-2004, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Depends on where your hose connection is.
If it is a flush port between the pump and the motor, then you fried your impeller due to lack of water.

If it is between the drive and the raw pump, you shouldn't have hurt your impeller unless you collapsed the hose on itself when you ran the motor up to 2500.

Either way, plan on removing the raw pump, back flushing the oil cooler and replacing the impeller.

It is dangerous business to continue to run a motor when overheated. You can briefly rev it to see if you are pumping ANY water, and if so, fast idling can bring temps down but if you are running dry you are ENTIRELY ACCEPTING ALL RISK of killing expensive parts by continuing to idle to a dock.

That's why you are supposed to carry a paddle, cellphone, marine VHF, etc.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. It is definitely not the impeller. There is pressure in the system and there is defitely water pumping through the system. The problem lies from the valve back to the intake on the drive. I am certain of this. The public ramp is at the very end of a harbor and consequently riddles with debris. I'm just hoping I didn't suck in a crusty old plastic bag or something.

Had VHF and cellphone with us, but we weren't even out of the harbor yet. We stopped, let it cool down for 20 minutes or so and then headed to the closest dock which had water. Then let it cool to about 160 or so, opened the valve up to examine the guts and make sure it wasn't at fault and then headed back . . . at idle once again.

And I will be sure to pick up that paddle ASAP. It could've gone a long way for me today. I'm putting it on the shopping list as we speak.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2004, 07:24 AM
Registered

You have a Bravo 1 with a low water pick-up? The pick-up is on the bottom of the nose cone?

If you do, you probably have intoduced yourself to "The Bottom Vacuum."

You can't run the motor in shallow water or you will clog. Do a search in this forum, you wil get all you need to know.

Good luck!