Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best way to seat new rings. >

Best way to seat new rings.

Notices

Best way to seat new rings.

Old 04-22-2004, 08:58 AM
cstraub69@comcast

GM also uses a special hone finish to seat the rings on the Vette engines. Some shops now use a stepped crosshatch finish where the cylinder has 3 different finishes. Am I boring you yet.. . .anyway yes you need to build heat in the engine to seat the rings. You can do this on the trailer with the hose. . .in fact she may get a little warmer that way. Do very the rpm.
Now the old way. . .some of you fellas may have heard of this, the Von Ammy Treatement. Years ago. . .well as late as the '80's, cleanser was poored into a running engine, about a tablespoon, and grit would assist in deglazing cylinder walls and seating rings on auto's that were using oil.

Chris

Old 04-22-2004, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And those bores are prepped properly for synthetic use.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Registered

Hey Scott,

Is that thing ready to go or what? Let me know when your going to splash her. If you need a hand give me a call.

Dano
Old 04-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Registered

Here's a few links regarding break - in procedure. http://hastingsinc.com/Service%20Tip..._procedure.htm
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
http://www.marinemechanic.com/2000/c...e_break-in.htm

This could be a real cause for debate. There are many different schools of thought on break in. Some say take it easy for the first few hours, some say get on it hard once in a while so the cylinder pressures push the rings against the cylinder walls for more complete seating of the rings. Any thoughts???
Old 04-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dano She's almost ready.still have to wax her up. That will be this weekends project. Jer and I are planning on going in next Friday. We're going to maximillions tomorrow after work let me know what your doing.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dano She's almost ready.still have to wax her up. That will be this weekends project. Jer and I are planning on going in next Friday. We're going to maximillions tomorrow after work let me know what your doing.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Registered

Go to your local airport...........buy some aero-shell 30 wt. It's thin non detergent, and your oil pressure will be on the low side, but take it out, warm it up nicely then let it rip.........drive it like you stole it !

After about 5 hours or so, change it to a good synthetic & you'll be good to go,