Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
drive reservoir overflowing >

drive reservoir overflowing

Notices

drive reservoir overflowing

Old 04-28-2004, 02:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aha I have seen the stern jack several times but I don't have it I think it is to expensive.

I did a test run yesterday and with the new cap the oil comes still over.

My cap was certainly broke because I missed the orange seailing.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2004, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

MJ,
Just checked with my buddy who is a Merc Master Tech. He recalls that the cap is designed to hold 2 to 3 PSI before bleeding off. If you have no air pockets in your drive and your cap is tight and sealing properly you had best seek local professional advice. I would try to run a different bottle and cap altogether, rule out any possibility that something is amis with the reservoir. Check you magnets for metal.

As I said before, I had a foaming and overflow problem on two occasions. The second time is when the drive went tits up with a bad vertical shaft bearing. This was a new out of the box XZ. Overflowing reservoir when you have no air pockets and a proper cap and seal is a sign something is going wrong.

When filling your drive make sure you have a slight negative trim so no air can get trapped in the lower. Spin your prop shaft a little as you fill to clear any air trapped and stir the oil some.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 04-28-2004, 08:52 AM
Registered

Baddog thanks for your advice!!!

The boat will be going out this afternoon and it will get a complete check up. We are changing the gear lube for new one. Take of the drive and check everything.

The only thing is that I have to wait for the locks who are on the sterndrive and props. They where still in america and ar on it's way to Holland.

Since yesterday I have another problem I don't get the RPM higher then 4200 60 miles when I did my first test drive I did 5000 RPM 70 miles.

So we are going to hook the engine to the computer and check her out.

As from now not much fun with my new boat

Please keep up with the good ideas
Old 04-28-2004, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If your fuel is old it will decrease performance but not to that degree. Maybe get a fresh load of fuel. I always pump mine out into the company car and tow vehicle. be sure to let the mechanics know everything you know and see that they have their best man on it.

Good luck, let the shop handle it. They should have experience in this area. Let us know what you find out.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:10 AM
Registered

OK hope to bring good news soon !!
Old 05-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My problem is solved!! I found my cap seal back behind the power steering bracket. I posted earlier that I topped of the reservoir from the bottom plug on the drive. The seal did the trick as I still had a level rise with the air out and no seal. Now with the seal back in the problem seems to have gone away. I tested it in the drive @ 4400 RPM in gear. Last time the level went up but this time the level stayed @ the fill mark. I will check it under way and report if I have new findings. The seal falls out of the cap and has no means of staying put. I will bet that there are a lot of reservoirs out there with this same problem. Thanks to all for your help. Its time for a celebration Pacifico.