drive reservoir overflowing >

drive reservoir overflowing

Notices

drive reservoir overflowing

Old 04-26-2004, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default drive reservoir overflowing

I have toped off my bravo III to the high mark and when I power up the boat the level goes up and over flows out of the reservoir. So much of the fluid goes out that when I let her sit awhile the level goes below where the alarm sounds. It appears as though I have pressure building up in the drive under way. When the drive is not under way the pressure backs off and the level drops. have just re installed a stern jack which had previously been leaking @ the bell housing seal but was not porting fluid into the bilge like it is now doing. I have two weep valves in, one in the normal location and one in the stern jack. What is happening here? Thank you for your response Bob
Old 04-26-2004, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Possibly an air pocket that is swelling up when hot? Drain and refill fro the bottom going slowly to avoid air bubbles.

Excessive heat. Anything change that may cause more heat? Is the stern jack interrupting water flow so the lower is not cooled? Are you running a drive shower?
Old 04-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would do what BadDog says, it is probably air.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:58 PM
Registered

Default Same problem

I am driving a 496mag HO with bravo3 It is just serviced and with the first test run the fluid went over. They checked it and thought it was air. Today did another test run (not so fast) and again the fluid went over. The only other thing I have noticed is that there is some foam on the lube but it is not hot. I have a drive shower.

Any ideas?
Old 04-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Registered

I had a drive do this last year (Bravo 1) , the gasket had fallen out of the resevoir (cap) into the bilge when I had taken it off.

Last edited by jdnca1; 04-26-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:36 PM
Registered

Smile

What gasket are you talking about ?

You also had some foam in the lube and the new gasket fixed the problem?
Old 04-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Registered

In the cap, yes I had foam, and the old gasket reinstalled fixed the problem.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Registered

Like jdnca said your bottle should build and hold some pressure, keeping the oil in the drive instead of filling the bottle. windage around spinning gears is a fact of life, that's why we have windage trays in oil pans.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all your input. I inspected the drive tonight and found no foam in the oil, no chips, and I topped off the bottle from the bottom port of the drive by pumping in new gear oil. My wife was watching the level in the bottle while I was pumping the fluid and she did say that she did saw some air. I looked in the cap and found no gasket. I ran the motor up to 4000RPM in the driveway and found that the level did rise and fluid began to leak out of the top. The next step will be to obtain or make a rubber gasket. Thanks for all the suggestions and I do know about windage having lost oil pressure in a hopped up small block years ago.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:26 AM
Registered

Thanks for all your input but there is 1 thing I don't get. I

The fix for the problem should be the gasket of the cap. But what's weird there is hole in the cap so gasket or no gaket the air and fluid can come out.

Or do I have the wrong cap and should I get 1 without the hole in it?

Thanks

Quick Reply: drive reservoir overflowing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.