Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
No oil to #1 rockers & little to #3 >

No oil to #1 rockers & little to #3

Notices

No oil to #1 rockers & little to #3

Old 05-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a justifiable explanation for the mechanics of why this happens, like I said earlier after building @ 50 motors I haven't had a problem once it's started. I feel certain it will correct itself. Try removing the small blugs in the oil rail passage (MK4) and run your primer. Then rotate the motor while priming, preferably with the starter and a battery. However I seriously think you are chasing ghosts.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:45 AM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fred,
Try removing the preload from the lifters. Back off the rockers to zero or + lash, them prime the engine on the drill while rotating the engine with a breaker bar. When you preload an unprimed lifter then rotate the engine the spring pressure will often collapse the lifter and restrict the oil flow to the upper end.
Bob
Old 05-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just had the same problem w/my 502. i was using a primer tool instead of a distributor and the oil was bleeding out around the tool. it took me all nite to figure out what was happening. i hope that is your problem.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:19 AM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can use a primer tool with an adjustable collar to prevent bleed off.
Attached Thumbnails No oil to #1 rockers & little to #3-mil-23000.jpg  
Old 05-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a distributor for priming. The engine was rotated with a breaker bar as we were priming it. Everything above we have done (except the gauge) & I will do that tonight..... Yes, @ 2700 rpm cam speed, that is 5400 rpm crank. Definetly should have max oil pressure there.

rmbuilder... I'm George... I bought Fred's Sonic.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The majority of the oil up to the rockers isn't from the oil pump... but the lifter slightly "collapsing" and acting like a pump. I've taken a hydraulic roller lifter apart and the passages are so tiny... you would wonder how oil at all gets up there... If the pre-load is correct... you shouldn't have any problem once the engine starts running... cranking the motor over by hand...or even on the starter .. you won't see much oil flow up the push rods. I'm assuming it's a M IV block by how you have described it... and by the looks of the oil pump primer... I have one just like it.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Registered

Just curious as to how your spinning the pump to 2700.Wenever I have primed motors I use a 15 amp 1/2" drill motor(aprox 500 rpm) with a modified distibutor and it loads up the drill due to oil back pressure.You can feel when the system is primed because it olmost rips the drill from your hands.Maybe your not building pressure because of a faulty pump relief.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:39 PM
cstraub69@comcast

As someone who makes the primers, I highly recommend them. Now that said, the best way is to pressurize the oiling system. Silver Seal makes a kit, tank fittings and everything. oil is force fed through the engine. Air locks are common. This way. . .no air locks.

Chris
Stef's Performance

Old 05-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Registered

I never get flow to the top when priming either and I use the proper prime tool. Getting oil to the top is not necessary to prime the engine. Just get a mechanical gage to read 60psi and you are done.

BT
Old 05-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Registered

Originally posted by HARRISONMIRAGE
Just curious as to how your spinning the pump to 2700.Wenever I have primed motors I use a 15 amp 1/2" drill motor(aprox 500 rpm) with a modified distibutor and it loads up the drill due to oil back pressure.You can feel when the system is primed because it olmost rips the drill from your hands.Maybe your not building pressure because of a faulty pump relief.
I am not sure what drill speed of motor I use but it does put a hurt to my drill also. Will have to look tonight at what the speed of it is.

Quick Reply: No oil to #1 rockers & little to #3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.