Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
No oil to #1 rockers & little to #3 >

No oil to #1 rockers & little to #3

Notices

No oil to #1 rockers & little to #3

Old 05-06-2004, 11:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK... here is another view... the parts are stacked in the order that they go together.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reed- I was quoting the part about rockers NEVER oiling while priming. Since I had 30 of 32 rockers oiling, it bothered me. So why would 30 of 32 rockers oil... and two did not?? Granted they oiled fine when running, but with 80# of pressure & 5400rpm crank speed & the pump shaft (2700 rpm), it sure seems like they should as 30 of 32 did.
I understand the lifter function, but to say rockers never oil on priming is incorrect at best. More correct may be to say they all may not oil. Absolutes- bite us in the butt at lot!! I been there... done that!!
I understood the function of priming was to get oil thoughout the engine, before starting. I would think that was ALL engine parts, not just some of them. A lot can happen in a few seconds if oil is not present..... sure made me nervous!! I learn something new every day it seems.
Thanks for the pictures also. I've never disassembled a lifter before. Now I know.
Thanks.
George
Old 05-07-2004, 11:40 AM
Registered

BF... if you were to see how tiny the passages are for the oil.... the question of this thread wouldn't be " why aren't these two rockers getting oil... it would be .... "Why is oil flowing to all these rockers"
Part of priming the engine before starting is to get the air out of the oil passages and to make sure the pump is flowing... On some engines... if the oil pump isn't primed... it won't suck the oil up out of the pan... On some of the weird european engines I've worked on... you cannot prime the oil pump with a drill by removing the distributor... You actually have to remove an oil line and pour the oil through a funnel to make sure oil is in the pump and passages. The old Aston inline sixes are notorius for not priming the pump... the pump is chain driven off the front of the crank.. and there is no way you can prime it other than to remove the oil cooler line and squirt oil down the passages... once the oil reaches the pump... it primes it enough that it will lift the oil from the pan... which is way deeper than any 14 qt chev pan. If the pump isn't primed... the engine will run dry and never suck the oil up to the pump... wonderful...
Old 05-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Registered

Thanks a lot Reed.
I'm a happy camper right now as everything is working well.
I have the only over 1000 hp workbench in the neigborhood, since my boat is still in the paint shop. I'm very tired of waiting for it!!

Thanks everyone!! Happy boating
Old 05-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BF, not taken negatively at all. Glad it worked out ok. That's the important thing. But then I can't explain why a 1 lb. rock will sink and a 10,000,000 metal ship will float, but it does.

Anyways, my thinking has been that the plunger and check valve inside of the lifter work together along with oil supply and the movement of the lifter to pump oil up the pushrod. Something along the lines of the upward lifter travel, with the valve spring presure wanting to push the plunger in the lifter down thus opening the check valve just a enough that the oil pressure will push oil up the pushrod. With the lifter on the downward travel, the checkvalve is closed thus stopping oil flow thru the pushrod. That is why you see a pulsating oiling thru the rockers. That's just my thinking.
As far as why the 2 front ones were different from the rest, don't know. Maybe a combination of valve lash, lifter location with the range of travel, sticking lifter plunger (which new ones do seem to do). Maybe you were not holding your mouth just right.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:37 PM
Registered

Your thinking is correct USA 1.... that is how the oil is pumped up the push rod... not so much from the oil pressure from the pump in the pan... but the hydraulic push of the valve spring against the lifter plunger...
Old 05-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Registered

Yes, I think roller lifter manufacturers need to find a new assembly grease. That stuff is like glue!! Cleaned all roller lifters in solvent before installation. Made sure the rollers were free. The rollers were like "frozen" in the body/frame until worked with solvent... Why do they do that???
Old 05-08-2004, 12:59 AM
Registered

I don't know BF... but I went through the same thing with the Crane parts.... Their tech guy said to just submerge them in 10-40 for a couple of days and install them...