Looking for most bang on limited budget >

Looking for most bang on limited budget

Notices

Looking for most bang on limited budget

Old 05-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Looking for most bang on limited budget

Hi everyone. I usually try to go my own way on boat descisions, but after visiting this site many times, I see I cannot compete with the experience and knowledge many of you show here. So now its my turn to ask the experts. I own a 230 Conquest, made by the company now known as as Powerquest boats. Two years after owning the boat, the motor sh#t the bed. Seems that heads bolts were rotting away for some time from salt water use, and most had let go, causing remaining bolts to pull away from block, and actually cracking deck area around bolt holes. So it was time for a new motor. At the time, money was tight, (when isn't it I guess ) so I did what I could. Didnt expect to have to get another block and heads at the time, so more money eaten up again. Wanted to get back in the water ASAP, so heres what I got so far. Another 454, bored .030, decked .010, with TRW forged pistons, L2465"s, with .226 dome. The cam is a Comp. cam, #11-306-4 with duration at .050, 222 intake, and 226 ehaust, with .309 lift for both, and lobe separation of 110. Heads are another set of peanuts, rebuilt stock,using better Isky springs. (money issues again). I was able to spring for a better exhaust, and put a set of EMI thunders on. Intake is Edelbrock Rpm, (given to me ) and Edelbrock 750 carb. bolted on top of that. Ignition is stock. All bolted to a bravo one with a 23p mirage. Motor pulls hard, which I love, but as is always the case, always want to go a little faster. Seems to hit a wall, at about 5,200 rpm's and top speed of about 60 gps. I am blaming the wall on the heads, and also feel that intake to head match isnt so hot either, due to the smaller head . Where should I go next with my allowance money? I,m thinking heads, but are there any other options I should be thinking of, that arent too expensive to do play with for now. Also, what should I expect to be getting for hp now, and what could I do to gain more, reasonably priced. Is the prop I now have adequate, or could I see more top end with another type? Dont really have money just to experiment with, if you know what I mean.. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Looking for most bang on limited budget

I think you answered your question. A good set of big ovals with big valves like the 049 or Darts but then you will need a bigger pitched prop as you will be making more power. my $0.02 Rag's
Old 05-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Looking for most bang on limited budget

Originally Posted by ragtop409
I think you answered your question. A good set of big ovals with big valves like the 049 or Darts but then you will need a bigger pitched prop as you will be making more power. my $0.02 Rag's

we can take care of the prop for you converting it to our Acclerator design,this will help alot but, them again so will the motor work.
Darin Houston Prop 281-580-7767