Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Exhaust silencer >

Exhaust silencer

Notices

Exhaust silencer

Old 05-17-2004, 05:27 PM
jonholmb9

Exhaust silencer

Hi my question is does a silencer steal horsepower i have an 350 mag mpi wich is silenced. What do you think of the noise inside the boat when running at cruising speed unsilenced.? I have heard boats unsilenced and they sound a lot when standing on land. Still the sound from a v8 engine is really awesome. Maybe i should mention the exhaust is above the water.

All The Best Jon

Old 05-17-2004, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust silencer

My previous had a 550hp 454" with Lightning headers.
It was very very loud behind the boat, but you could have a conversation with out
shouting inside the boat at cruising speed.
May be the swim platform did a lot to keep the noise down,
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust silencer-z_dsc01062.jpg   Exhaust silencer-z_dsc01040.jpg  

Last edited by 38KV; 05-17-2004 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Registered

I had a checkmate with a 350, and thru-hull exhaust like yours. Very loud behind the boat, and pity the person trying to ski or tube behind you. I bought a pair of slip in type of mufflers, you put them in right thru the back of your pipes. They wont make it a whole lot quieter, but it did cut down on the loud rapping that you hear when you are on shore at the marina.I never really noticed any loss of power with them. But what was nice ,is on those days when you wanna hear it all, it only takes a minute or so to remove them, by removing the single screw that hold them in. Less than 100 bucks for them... My .02
Old 05-18-2004, 03:10 PM
jonholmb9

Thumbs up Re: Exhaust silencer

Thanks for your advice. Maybe i will bypass them to see if the noise is ok. It is great when you hear the engines work right ?

All The Best Jon

Old 05-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jonholmb9
Hi my question is does a silencer steal horsepower i have an 350 mag mpi wich is silenced. What do you think of the noise inside the boat when running at cruising speed unsilenced.? I have heard boats unsilenced and they sound a lot when standing on land. Still the sound from a v8 engine is really awesome. Maybe i should mention the exhaust is above the water.

All The Best Jon

It all depends on what type of silencer your are talking about for your mod a diverter with a wishbone will work best. Remember you can only run thsese types of systems at idle through your harbour and marina.

These types will not rob you of any horsepower.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:02 PM
jonholmb9

Hi please explain what a wishbone is i tried to check out the link you posted but the site is down for now. If i understand you guys it is best for the performance just to let out the exhaust unsilenced, am i right ?

Old 05-18-2004, 05:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jonholmb9
Hi please explain what a wishbone is i tried to check out the link you posted but the site is down for now. If i understand you guys it is best for the performance just to let out the exhaust unsilenced, am i right ?

If you run diverters otherwise known as silence choice exhaust when you engage the flappers they divert the exhaust down the wishbone and exits through the prop. The silent choice exhaust when not activated covers the wishbone exit and send the exhaust through the tips.

Here is a picture of the wishbone.

Right, you will get your best performance when the exhaust is unsilenced, however, remember the silence choice method is only for idling around the marina. My buddy has them on his boat and it is nice when you need to hear inside the boat and have a conversation.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust silencer-picture-134.jpg   Exhaust silencer-picture-135.jpg  
Old 05-18-2004, 05:24 PM
jonholmb9

Hi thanks for your help now i understand what you mean.

All The Best Jon