Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
pad or no pad >

pad or no pad

Notices

pad or no pad

Old 05-19-2004, 11:36 AM
Kent Perroux

Default pad or no pad

Going over my new project and wanted to get some informed feedback.

1982 P&D hull. Bottom is straight, (no hook or rocker) It does have a small pad at the bottom of the "V" which is 4"wide at the stern and gets smaller towards the bow where it ends at a point 32" from the stern.

The problem I have with this design is that it is at a different plane than the strakes. The look is as if you raised the bow slightly and machined off the vee at the rear of the boat. Is this good? or should I run the straight v?

Anybody have experience comparing this with other hulls like the Pantera 24?

Thanks,
Kent

Old 05-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: pad or no pad

The Pantera 24 and all the others with virtually identical hulls all have this pad. It will give you that extra top end speed and it is not to big of a pad to detract from rough riding. I have had three Pythons which is of the same design and the pad works great for that hull. DO NOT CHANGE IT!!!! My opinion.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: pad or no pad

The "pad" gives the hull something to ride on when running at higher speeds because the strakes act as wings and raise the hull high out of the water. In smooth water, such as on a glassy lake, a straight V will actually rock back and forth because it can't sit on the tip of the V unless running slow where the hull is more settled in the water. Give it some chop and it'll run rock solid. This high out of the water stability is one of the many new designs helping the modern boats be able to run faster and do it more stable including the notch which allows higher X dimension meaning less drag for higher speed attainment...

Last edited by Reckless32; 05-19-2004 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:48 PM
mlitefan

Talking Re: pad or no pad

Originally Posted by Reckless32
The "pad" gives the hull something to ride on when running at higher speeds because the strakes act as wings and raise the hull high out of the water. In smooth water, such as on a glassy lake, a straight V will actually rock back and forth because it can't sit on the tip of the V unless running slow where the hull is more settled in the water. Give it some chop and it'll run rock solid. This high out of the water stability is one of the many new designs helping the modern boats be able to run faster and do it more stable including the notch which allows higher X dimension meaning less drag for higher speed attainment...
Damn Rick, you almost sounded like you knew what you were talking about!