Best setup for Oil Temp Gauge >

Best setup for Oil Temp Gauge

Notices

Best setup for Oil Temp Gauge

Old 05-23-2004, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best setup for Oil Temp Gauge

I want to hook up an Oil Temp Gauge to my engine.....I prefer to mount it on the engine instead of in the dash....I am running the Mercruiser remote oil filter kit and would like to get a setup to mount the gauge directly to the remote oil filter bracket....Has anybody done this before or mounted one somewhere else on the engine? I prefer something simple and mechanical, something I can direct plumb.....Thoughts anyone?
Whats the most common way to do this?

Randy
"Bad-Habit"
Old 05-23-2004, 08:52 PM
MAG502NUM

Default Re: Best setup for Oil Temp Gauge

Bad, that sounds like bad idea to me unless you move the helm to the engine compartment. I would think you would want to monitor the guage while underway. I say mount the gauge in the dash or someplace you can see it while operating the boat. Am I missing somthing?

Old 05-23-2004, 09:33 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine are on the dash and the senders are in the drain plugs in the pans
Attached Thumbnails Best setup for Oil Temp Gauge-dsc00620%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 05-24-2004, 04:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't have a place on my dash for the thing without totally re-arrganging things. Besides it wouldn't match my Formula gauges......I am not having a problem with the oil temp(that I know of). I usually check my engine out after a long run anyways and can in a matter of seconds have the hatch up to check the gauge. Mo you mention your senders are in the pan. Is a Oil temp guage similar to a Water temp gague? (If it is electrical). I just want something I can take a peep at everynow and then....Figured mounting it somewhere on the remote filter bracket would be the best. Hopefuly with some sort of a direct plubing setup...Getting to the pan is out! Untill I have to pull the motor. (which after 2 1/2 years of dialing in hopefully won't be for a LONG LONG time)

BH
Old 05-24-2004, 07:16 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BAD-HABIT
Mo you mention your senders are in the pan. Is a Oil temp guage similar to a Water temp gague? (If it is electrical).
BH
Yes , just a difference scale (usually higher).I personally like the pan mounted way because that offers you the highest temp oil(directly off the bearings etc.)
Plenty of people use the remote oil filter mount as a reference point also , it's just that the temp will be a little lower. It's also a hellava lot easier to install , once in the boat
Old 05-24-2004, 09:43 AM
ursus

Originally Posted by BAD-HABIT
I usually check my engine out after a long run anyways and can in a matter of seconds have the hatch up to check the gauge.
BH
Oil temp will rise almost right away when you have a problem. Looking at it after the fact doesn't really help much except to tell you you toasted your engine on that last run versus your about to toast it when you can see it on the dash. The latter being much more valuable information

See my previous post you can get a vdo guage that looks very similar to the factory formula but it will take some leg work.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35137

Old 05-24-2004, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you just want to get a baseline go to Wal-Mart and get a digital thermometer. Go to the hardware and get a brass plug for the remote oil filter plug. Drill the plug to match the thermometer and JB weld it in. Remove existing fitting and screw the new rig in place. 13 bucks, hi and low memory with real time temp.