Torque twist/Prop twist problem >

Torque twist/Prop twist problem

Notices

Torque twist/Prop twist problem

Old 06-05-2004, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque twist/Prop twist problem

I spoke with Julie from Throttle up props about some poor ride characteristics that my boat has. First off I Will give you all the info to base your decisions and opinions on any possible help you can come up with. My boat is a 1990 Warlock 24' **EURO** and not the common World Class. It is a V-hull with no pad.The beam is 7' and weighs 3500# wet with about a half a tank of fuel. It is powered by the 365hp 454 Mag carb. with the Bravo 1 with thru hull exhaust under the swim steps and no trim tabs due to the narrow hull and the position of the transom exhaust. There is 5" between the bottom of the hull and the center of the prop ( beleive this is how you measure X-dimension). It turns a RH 23 Quicksilver 3 blade at 67mph @ 5200 with 4 people in the boat. The boat has torque twist or prop twist to the port side and is worse with no trim. The more I trim she starts to release and the twist is more subtle but never goes away. Once I get over the magic number of 65 it starts to porpoise no matter what pitch prop I use. I can make the porpoise go away by lowering the trim but then the twist comes back more noticeable. Julie from Throttle up suggested trying a LH prop and that is what I did. HOLLY snikeys Batman .......bad voodoo to put a LH prop on this narrow hull apparently because the twist went violently to the starboard side. So severe as it felt that if I would have stayed in the throttle it would cork screw. I reported this info back to Julie and she recommended that I come to you the forum for help and advice since this hull is light and narrow. However, she did mention trying an can-cleaver prop. Please help a brother in need as I want to get this bad ride characteristic fixed before I re-power for more power and speed.

Last edited by born2burn; 06-05-2004 at 09:09 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 06-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Torque twist/Prop twist problem

Is there any possible way you can get even the smallest tabs on this boat?

Roby
Old 06-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Registered

It would be the placement of the tabs and not the size is the problem
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Registered

Here is a better pic.
Attached Thumbnails Torque twist/Prop twist problem-worlock8.jpg  
Old 06-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

What you have there is what I refer to as a "Drivers Boat" I had a 22 Avanti with 550hp and my good friend has a 24 Pantera with 600hp. Both designs are similar to yours, 7ft beam 24 degree hull. Bennett tabs on the Avanti, Merc 280's on the Pantera and when driving either one you used them often. The avanti has a small pad that it would ride on when trimmed up but the Pantera is a true "V" and when trimmed up can get very squirley if you don't know how to handle it and you always have to drag a little tab to keep it from chine walking. I can't see in the pic if your's has a pad or not. You would benefit tremendously with tabs. Also, your steering can play a big part in your problem. Cable assist will losen up and your drive will be moving all over the place at speed. Full hydraulic steering makes these narrow boats much more manageable. Whats the diameter of your current prop? A smaller diameter might help.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

The hydromotive Q4 may help, but it won't plane as well. Your prop is deep enough that it shouldn't matter though.

You need to learn how to drive the boat. With some practice you'll feel the boat start to fall off. Watch the point of the bow. It'll always fall to the right so a quick twitch to the wheel will throw it back on. You need to be attentive because if you are out of sync you'll make the problem worse. Please be safe when practicing. No passengers, lifevest and a lanyard are requirements. A helmet would be a wise addition.

At this time I would not recommend more power. That will only make the existing situation worse. More power will have the same effect as a shorter lower unit. If you absolutly must have more power and it has to be in this boat, then add hydraulic steering first. Hopefully, that will help the chine walk. If it did then a small amount of power could be added. Also check your gimble assembly for wear. Often wear will show up as a handling issue.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:35 AM
Registered

Guys thanks for your input but maybe I didnt explain this as good as I could have. The boat drives fine and is not out of control at all with a RH prop at all. It only was squirley with the LH prop. It is laying on the port side and scrubing off speed is my only concern and would like to know how to fix it.
thanks
born2burn
Old 06-06-2004, 08:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cord
The hydromotive Q4 may help, but it won't plane as well. Your prop is deep enough that it shouldn't matter though.

You need to learn how to drive the boat. With some practice you'll feel the boat start to fall off. Watch the point of the bow. It'll always fall to the right so a quick twitch to the wheel will throw it back on. You need to be attentive because if you are out of sync you'll make the problem worse. Please be safe when practicing. No passengers, lifevest and a lanyard are requirements. A helmet would be a wise addition.

At this time I would not recommend more power. That will only make the existing situation worse. More power will have the same effect as a shorter lower unit. If you absolutly must have more power and it has to be in this boat, then add hydraulic steering first. Hopefully, that will help the chine walk. If it did then a small amount of power could be added. Also check your gimble assembly for wear. Often wear will show up as a handling issue.
You mentioned that it will always fall to the right. Mine always falls to the left (port) side. I dont get any chine walk either. Anymore suggestions?
Thanks
Old 06-06-2004, 08:34 AM
Registered

ALSO my X-dimension is 3" in measured wrong when I came up with 5"
Old 06-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Registered

I have a 25 Sunsation which is very similar in length and width to yours. It does have a small pad. I experience the same "lean" you describe when at cruise. It is very easily corrected with some tab (bennets).

Quick Reply: Torque twist/Prop twist problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.