Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Should I bypass the oil cooler??? >

Should I bypass the oil cooler???

Notices

Should I bypass the oil cooler???

Old 06-17-2004, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Should I bypass the oil cooler???

1999 502 MPI
Whipplecharged
no water t-stat
stock oil cooler

Since I installed the Whipplecharger, I have been having problems with what I think may be condensation in my oil. To prove this, I installed a Gaffrig oil temp gauge at my remote oil filter (before the cooler). The best I can get after a hard run is 210°. Most of the time, it runs at around 165°. It takes forever to warm up and when I am idling in a no-wake, it drops to around 140°. I think this is too cold for oil!!!
Since I don't run a water thermostat with the Whipple, the water temperature only gets to 105° even in the hot Arizona climate.

Here is my question: Would it be a smart idea to bypass the oil cooler to see if I can get the temps up to a more normal operating range? It would be totally experimental at first and since I can monitor the oil temperature as I go, I can back off of the throttle if the oil gets too hot....say above 260°. It would also be interesting to see just how much the oil cooler affects oil temperature.

What do you guys think?????
Old 06-17-2004, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Should I bypass the oil cooler???

I'd call Dustin before I did anything to it.

Last edited by Fountain38SC; 06-17-2004 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:34 PM
Registered

is there a reason you don't run a T-Stat? You should run at least a 140 or condensation will build up in your engines oil at a rapid pace. As long as the engine coolant runs at least 140 the oil cooler if integrated should warm the oil to the proper temperature. You're not really going to hurt it being this cool but it will never get warm enough to burn off condensation in the oil. You would have to change the oil very and I mean very often.

Roby
Old 06-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Registered

Roby -

Whipple is very specific about removing the t-stat on a supercharged motor to allow lots of water flow.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Grog
1999 502 MPI
Whipplecharged
no water t-stat
stock oil cooler

Since I installed the Whipplecharger, I have been having problems with what I think may be condensation in my oil. To prove this, I installed a Gaffrig oil temp gauge at my remote oil filter (before the cooler). The best I can get after a hard run is 210°. Most of the time, it runs at around 165°. It takes forever to warm up and when I am idling in a no-wake, it drops to around 140°. I think this is too cold for oil!!!
Since I don't run a water thermostat with the Whipple, the water temperature only gets to 105° even in the hot Arizona climate.

Here is my question: Would it be a smart idea to bypass the oil cooler to see if I can get the temps up to a more normal operating range? It would be totally experimental at first and since I can monitor the oil temperature as I go, I can back off of the throttle if the oil gets too hot....say above 260°. It would also be interesting to see just how much the oil cooler affects oil temperature.

What do you guys think?????

Grog the way I see it the whipple is going to create a lot of heat when you are running her hard so they recommend you get as much water passing through the block, hence the removal of the T-Stat. Someone on this board should be able to give a better reason for the T-stat.

Now the fact that you have low oil temps is because you are constantly running cool water through your system. You need a Thermostatically controlled oil cooler to heat your oil when you are not running her hard. The stock merc is good for a stock motor but you do not have a stock motor. Here are a few picks of mine. I use the dual cooler one for my hydraulic steering return line.
Attached Thumbnails Should I bypass the oil cooler???-picture-122.jpg   Should I bypass the oil cooler???-picture-016.jpg  
Old 06-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Registered

Krumbsnatcher -

Would you send the images to [email protected]?

Thanks!!
Old 06-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Registered

Permacool thermostat is only about 30.00 from Summit. Unfortunatly the plumbing costs alot more. It's pretty simple. Just follow the directions.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:49 AM
Registered

Run 1) a thermostat, 2) a restrictor in place of the thermostat, or 3) an oil thermostat. Dont remove the oil cooler.
Gary