Notices

Speedmaster

Old 06-22-2004, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Speedmaster

Lou,
Good thing I was sitting down. I like getting good news. I have been checking that window every time I go out. It is a pain in the a** to get to. I don't have the manual and was relying on what my engine builder told me regarding the resevoir window. Still a little concerned on where the fluid goes to, but I will start checking at the upper vent plug rather than the window.

I was told Dextron ATF for the transmissions. This information came from the transmission rebuilders (Powerbilt Transmissions in Florida - I believe that was the name of the company). I do not recall seeing a drain plug on the transmission, but if there is it will be extremetly difficult for me to get to. I was thinking I would have to suck the fluid out from the dipstick tube when it's time to change trans fluid.

Thanks again Lou,

Doug
Old 06-22-2004, 05:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

As I said in another post, I change my tranny fluid every 5-6 hours. Why? I almost died the first time I sucked it out and realized how little fluid was in there ( A couple of quarts ), The fluid's cheap, and anything to avoid a rebuild. For the trannys, I use a small pump that mounts in one of my cordless drills. i sit a plastic gallon jug on the tranny and suck it out. I take another identical clear jug and add fluid to match what's in the used jug. After you've done it a few times, it takes only a few minutes and a couple of bucks-no brainer, right? I totally agree with starting with the Manufacturers suggestions and cautiouisly moving from there. Good luck Doug! Lou
Old 06-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RUSS SR1
Reed does your manual give a capacity for drive oil?

If the B/W takes ATF what kind? type F or DEX..?

Is there a drain plug that I will have no problem seeing on the 72C?

Thanks
Russ
Yes... ok... sit down... ready?.... 9.38 qts per drive.....
Old 06-22-2004, 08:54 PM
Registered

Wow 5 gal. to do the drives gonna have to find a way to buy merc hp drive oil in bulk
Old 06-23-2004, 03:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Russ- Just by coincidence, Mercruiser sells the fluid in 10 quart containers for ~$75 per. Lou
Old 06-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Registered

As for the reservoir pulled my speedys and it wasn't hooked to the drive so much for checking it in the boat if you can get to your lower line on the tranney that is the best place to drain. Modified trans run type F stock use dex merc sells 10qt and 15 gal sizes and find some way to pump it in.I found a ssm book on ebay hope I never need it the trans is in trs books and lots of others.