Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
HP 525 Crank cast or forged? >

HP 525 Crank cast or forged?

Notices

HP 525 Crank cast or forged?

Old 07-01-2004, 11:17 AM
John NY

Default HP 525 Crank cast or forged?

Mercury's web site has specs on the HP 525 saying that the pistons and rods are forged. Does anyone know about the crankshaft?

Thanks,
John

Old 07-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HP 525 Crank cast or forged?

I'm SURE it's forged. Even the 454 mag is. New 496 may be cast?
Old 07-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it better be!!!
Old 07-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We've been making 556HP on the dyno with over140 pulls w/ Merc PCM on new aluminum heads and manifold with most runs to 5500rpm on that "cast" crank in the 496 engine. No problems, bearings and parts look like new after these thrashings.
Just remember cast or forged is not as important as what material the cast or forged crank is made out of and how its designed and built. We have broken some forged cranks! and we've yet to break the 496 cast crank. Just some "real" thoughts and info!
Ray@Raylar
Old 07-02-2004, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

the crank that comes in every 525 I've worked on has been a gm forged piece they claim its 5140 alloy and i also agree with the last post on the cast cranks I've dynoed hundreds of marine engines since the 80s and many of them were equipped with factory cast cranks made as much as 560 hp with out a problem i just feel that for my own packages the best 4340 forged or billet crank i can put in them is what i want to use i don't compromise when it comes to quality thanks hope that is of use to you.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:49 PM
John NY

Thanks for all the info!

John

Old 07-02-2004, 09:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: HP 525 Crank cast or forged?

I love this engine as I swallow hard at the price. The only thing to consider is that most custom shops are not priced any better if you compare apples to apples, usually they are actually more expensive for this particular engine. This is certainly a rock solid very HI tech computer controlled marine engine. Probably Mercury's most durable ever.

HP525 EFI - 525 HP
Specifications
HP: 525
kW: 410
Full Throttle RPM Range: 4800-5200
Displacement Liter/CID: 8.2/502
Bore & Stroke (in): 4.47/4.00
Bore & Stroke (mm): 114/102
Compression Ratio: 8.75:1
Cylinders: V-8
Alternator Amp: 65
Alternator Watt: 917
Fuel System: MPI
Ignition System: PCM 038 distributorless
Fuel Requirements: 87 Posted Octane (R+M)/2, (92 RON) International
Transmission: (Six) w/Huber 600 Series
Drive Options: Bravo One XR, Bravo One XR w/ITS, Bravo One XR Sport Master (Standard or Short), and Bravo One XR Sport Master (Standard or Short) w/ITS. Dry-Sump Six w/Huber 600
Length (in/mm): 39.5/1003
Width (in/mm): 34/864
Height (in/mm): 24/610
Weight (lbs / kg): 1201/545
Warranty: 1-Year Ltd. for Recreational Boating/3-Year Ltd. Corrosion
SmartCraft: Yes

Features & Benefits

Precision CNC machined 502 C.I.D. cast iron cylinder block.

Custom Edelbrock aluminum cylinder heads, designed exclusively for Mercury Racing, enhance torque and overall performance.

Advanced, factory installed closed-cooling system features five-year coolant for reduced maintenance and increased corrosion protection.

The SmartCraft PCM 038 microprocessor optimizes fuel control for each cylinder independently, enhancing engine running quality and performance.

Powerful 65-amp/917-watt alternator provides dependable starting and additional power for operating electrical accessories.

Forged 4340 steel, fully machined and shot-peened Mercury Racing connecting rods. Forged aluminum pistons, designed by Mercury Racing, for maximum strength and durability.

Multiport fuel injection system incorporates a high-flow throttle body and flame arrestor developed exclusively by Mercury Racing.

Water-cooled and insulated fuel system helps keep fuel temperatures down and greatly reduces potential for vapor lock with today's fuels.

A thermostatically-controlled, high-capacity oil cooler raises engine oil temperatures faster and keeps them more consistent.

A hydraulic roller camshaft and an idle air valve, located at the rear of the intake plenum, work in concert to improve engine idle quality.

Comes standard with 1.26:1, 1.35: or 1.50:1 gear ratio Bravo One XR drive in either right-hand or left-hand rotation.

Dual-water pickup and low-water pickup gearcase housings available for standard Bravo One XR drives.

Bravo One XR Sport Master, Bravo One XR Short Sport Master and Dry-Sump Six drive options available.

The Bravo One XR Sport Master gearcase (Std. and Short), available on selected Bravo One XR drives, reduces drag for enhanced overall boat performance in select applications.

Integrated Transom System (ITS) available with Bravo One XR and Bravo One XR Sport Master drive options.

New engine oil drain line enhances ease of changing oil.

Power steering reservoir mounted on front of the engine for easy access.
Attached Images